Achimota School qualified for the 2019 edition of the National Science and Maths Quiz after a tough contest Wednesday morning.
The two-time winners endured pressure from Wesley Grammar School in the first two rounds before exerting their dominance on the game.
But before they could start early jubilation, underdogs, Ngleshie Amanfrom Senior High put enough pressure on the overdogs to push the fate of the game into the very last round.
In the end, however, Achimota School walked away with the spoils, a qualification slot to the finals which comes off in June at the University of Ghana, Legon.
Accra – End of Contest
Achimota School: 43pts
Ngleshie Amanfrom SHS: 31pts
Wesley Grammar School: 26pts
Nungua SHS: 14pts
Achimota School, congratulations!!!#NSMQ2019Regionals #NSMQ2019
— NSMQ Ghana (@NSMQGhana) 27 March 2019
Achimota School would be praying to do better than their 2018 campaign.
A spirited Tamale Senior High made giants Achimota look like class one kids when they met at the one-eighth stage of the competition.
Although Achimota School managed to push that contest into a tie-break decision, one of the Tamale SHS contestants had competed the previous year and his experience proved vital.
After two of the tie-break questions went unanswered, Yunus Maltiti rang the bell to answer the third question even before the Quiz mistress finished answering, sending cheers into the R.S. Amegashie auditorium; a giant had fallen.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Speaker slams Kamala Harris’ take on LGBTQ+ in Ghana, calls out Akufo-Addo
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Black Stars: 5 things we learned from the two games against Angola
- Playback: Kamala Harris addressed Ghanaians from Black Star Square
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Treason trial: Court demands death certificate of Dr Mac-Palm
- Why Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ is a ‘maybe’
- You can’t intervene in anti-LGBTQ+ bill; you’re not in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo
- Tarkwa Rotary Club conducts medical screening for inmates of Tarkwa prisons
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- GhLA CEO Hayford Siaw honoured by global philanthropy organisation, Reach for Change
- World Water Day: Youth engagement maximized to achieve SDG 6
- Livestream: PM Express discusses US-Ghana relations
- Hey please! I am in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo over anti-LGBTQ+ bill
- Bole-Bamboi MP calls for rerun of the election that approved six ministerial nominees
- ‘He devoted himself to the Danquah-Dombo-Busia tradition’ – Akufo-Addo eulogises late Kumawu MP
- ECG disconnects Ghana Post Accra branch over GH¢89,000 debt
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- We have a very good candidate in Dr. Duffour – Fritz Bafour
- Division One: Heart of Lions extend Zone 3 lead to 15 points
- Kejetia market fire: Traders warned to desist from forceful opening of shops