Private legal practitioner, Akoto Ampaw says the gravest threat to the family and value systems in Ghana is adultery and the impregnation of teenagers by heterosexual males.
“Do you note that adultery and the impregnation of teenagers by heterosexual males constitute a far graver threat to the family as a unit? This is obviously undeniable. Indeed, the idea in the Bill that the family is a lifelong relationship or unit is clearly contradicted by the persistent and regular divorces that are lawful under the laws of Ghana,” he said.
Mr. Ampaw said this on Thursday when he appeared before the Parliamentary Committee hearing petitions on the Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values Bill 2021.
He explained that adultery and the impregnation of teenagers, even though being the gravest of threats to the family system, have been allowed to fester and normalise with no action from legislators to check, especially the impregnation of teenagers.
Proponents of the Bill claim that the Bill must be passed to safeguard the concept of family in the Ghanaian setting.
According to them, should the activities of LGBTQ people be left unchecked, it shall “threaten the concept of family and the associated value systems that are central to the social structure of all ethnic groups in Ghana.”
However, Lawyer Akoto Ampaw believes otherwise.
Lawyer Akoto Ampaw there for called on Parliament to reject the “violent” Bill entirely.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’