Samuel Kalu has been confirmed ‘okay’ and ‘stabilised’ after he collapsed during training, a day before the country’s Afcon opener against Burundi on Saturday.
Kalu was reported to have fallen while trying to take a corner-kick in Friday’s training session in Alexandria and was immediately rushed to the hospital.
The 21-year-old underwent several medical examinations upon arrival in the hospital and he was said to have collapsed due to dehydration.
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) media chief Demola Olajire confirmed the situation, with a relief message that the Bordeaux winger has been advised to drink more water.
“I have been told Samuel Kalu has been stabilised. He was taken to hospital for tests and he is certified okay. He was dehydrated, they said. Told him he needs to be taking enough fluids,” Olaajire said.
Kalu is one of the nine forwards in Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr’s squad and it remains to be seen if he would be available for their Group B opening game against the Swallows at the Alexandria Stadium.
During the 2018-19 season, the pacy winger contributed three goals and two assists in his debut season with Bordeaux in the French Ligue 1.
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- I am in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo over anti-LGBTQ+ bill
- Take care of yourself, you would be replaced when you die – Speaker to MPs
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- #NanaAt79 trends as Ghanaians celebrate Akufo-Addo on his birthday
- I’ll be retiring from stand-up comedy in 5 years – Basketmouth
- Criminalising attempted suicide does more harm to society than good – Bernard Ahiafor
- Here is why Ghana’s plan to push ‘pedal power’ appears doomed to failure
- Ghanaian youth entering into entrepreneurial roles commendable – CARDIFF ANALYTICA CEO
- MTN Ghana cut digital sod for ICT hub construction
- Parliament’s Education Committee to investigate UG’s refusal to reinstate Commonwealth Hall residents
- Aluminium downstream industry has huge economic potential – Abu Jinapor
- Steps to establish Ghana’s Integrated Aluminium Industry on course – Lands Minister
- Stonebwoy unveils tracklist and cover art for upcoming album ‘5th Dimension’
- Basketmouth opens up on struggles early on in comedy career
- ECG to disconnect Ho Teaching Hospital, Ho Municipal Hospital over arrears
- Video: How man used bare hands to rescue trapped gold miners in DR Congo
- McDan’s Salt Company disconnected from national grid over GH¢300k debt
- How climate change impact on fisheries is pushing artisanal fishers into IUU fishing in Ghana
- Ashanti Region records 181 maternal mortality in 2022