Audio By Carbonatix
Some illegal miners have attacked members of the Inter-Ministerial task force and small-scale miners after three Chinese foreigners they were working with, had been arrested.
These Chinese nationals were caught mining just at the outskirts of Manso Aponapon of the Amansie South District in the Ashanti Region on Thursday, December 13.
Patrick Don Chebe who is Deputy Commander of the Small-Scale Anti-illegal Mining taskforce explained: “we were attacked with stones which forced the task force personnel to fire warning shots before taking the suspects away.”
He said the Ghanaian collaborators of the Chinese were not willing to see the task force take the foreigners away without a fight.
“Because they were preventing us from arresting these men, we had to call for reinforcement,” he added.
Related: Big raid as 16 Chinese with fresh guns arrested over illegal mining
As the government moves to lift the ban on small-scale mining, the Inter-Ministerial taskforce says it is teaming up with the Ghana National Association of small-scale miners.
The aim according to Nana Agyekum of the Inter-ministerial taskforce and National Small-Scale Taskforce Commander Berasi Andoh is to police the mining terrain and ensure compliance with mining regulations.
Nana Agyekum added, “after the ban is lifted small-scale miners with a license cannot work with foreigners.”
The government on Friday, December 14, is announcing a new policy framework for mining activities at the Accra International Conference Center (AICC).
Latest Stories
-
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
2 minutes -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
55 minutes -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
2 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
3 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
3 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
3 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
3 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
3 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
4 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
4 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
4 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
4 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
5 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
6 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
6 hours
