The President’s nominee for Chief Executive of the Asokwa Municipal Assembly has received a hundred percent endorsement by Assembly Members.
All 18 Assembly Members voted en-bloc to approve Akwannuasa Gyimah, a former constituency vice chairman for Asokwa, for a second term.
He is the only Chief Executive to have maintained his position in all five municipalities carved out of the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly, and the first to be endorsed in the Ashanti region.
“It feels great. It means that the people of Asokwa and of course the President of the Republic of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo has great confidence in me so I am ready to continue with whatever I started,” he said of his appointment and confirmation.
Mr. Gyimah told journalists that his immediate task would be to continue his project of preventing flooding and improving sanitation in the area.
The biggest modern landfill site in the country is located in Asokwa, but many private collection contractors continue to dump waste meant for the landfill site on the streets in the Municipality.
The MCE revealed there are already discussions with the Ministry of Sanitation with the hope to resolve the menace of indiscriminate dumping of refuse.
“Sanitation is also a big issue because of where the landfill site is located. It’s located in the Municipality., Asokwa. And for that reason, all the filth in this township, in Greater Kumasi, passes through our Municipality before it gets to the landfill site and most times, we get this Aboboyaa operators leaving the filth, garbage on our streets and it’s a big concern to us. We’ve even written to the Ministry of Sanitation to come to our aid because we have spent so much of our money to take care of our streets,” Mr. Akwannuasa said.
The ceremony attracted the Member of Parliament for Asokwa, Patricia Appiagyei, Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Ohene-Boadi Bossman, Regional Communications Officer of the NPP, Akwasi Kyei, some traditional leaders and supporters of the New Patriotic Party.
- Reckless driver in viral video to appear in court today
- Colombia’s most wanted drug lord Otoniel captured
- Iranian governor slapped in the face during public speech
- I love security issues – Henry Quartey on why he didn’t want to be Greater Accra Regional Minister
- NCA backtracks on Radio Gold, others not having their original frequencies
- CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak drop to Confederations Cup after being thrashed by Wydad
- CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak poised to make history ahead of second leg against Wydad
- Agric Minister stopped my bid to introduce fertiliser manufacturing plant – Entrepreneur
- I resigned from Shatta Movement when Shatta Wale started misbehaving – Ken Addy
- I didn’t prevent anyone from building fertiliser manufacturing plant – Agric Minister
Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
African Union dismayed over Sudan coup
Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
Appointment of Phuthuma Nhleko as non-executive Chairman of Tullow Oil plc
Livestream: Akufo-Addo launches National Alternative Livelihood Programme
Societe Generale continues outstanding performance, profit up 51% to ¢142m in September 2021
Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
GCB records 17.8% growth in profit in quarter 3 2021 but NPLs shoot up
Herbalife Nutrition honoured for outstanding HR Management Practices at 2021 HR Focus Awards
Parliament resumes sitting on Oct. 26
EU wants Sudan’s transition ‘back on track’
Twelve injured in Khartoum clashes – reports
Master act of controlling the pressure -Former NSMQ winner advises contestants as finals begin on Oct. 26
GPL: Five substitutes allowed for 2021/22 season
UN calls for release of Sudan civilian leaders