Audio By Carbonatix
At least 10 people, including several police officers, have been killed when gunmen attacked a bus in northeast Kenya.
The vehicle belonging to the Medina Bus Company was attacked on Friday on a lonely stretch of road in the Kotulo area as it travelled between the towns of Wajir and Mandera, close to the border with Somalia.
"People, among them police officers, were brutally murdered," President Uhuru Kenyatta's office said in a statement Saturday.
The Somalia-based al-Shabab armed group, which has also carried out a number of attacks in neighbouring Kenya, took responsibility for the assault, saying it had killed people that included "secret security agents and government employees".
Police said 10 people had been killed and that the attackers had specifically targeted non-Somalis after flagging down the bus. The area is mostly inhabited by ethnic Somali Kenyans.
Seven police officers were killed in the attack, local media reported. A security source gave the same figure to the AFP news agency.
Witnesses said the attackers had shot all the victims outside the bus at close range, but police and the government did not comment on those accounts.
Al-Shabab has been fighting for more than 10 years to overthrow successive internationally-backed Somali governments and has previously attacked many vehicles.
Although Somalia is slowly rebuilding after years of devastating conflict, it suffers regular bombings and assaults claimed by the group.
Al-Shabab's fighters were driven out of Mogadishu by government forces backed by 20,000 African Union peacekeepers in 2011.
Kenya has often been targeted by al-Shabab, which killed 67 people at Nairobi's Westgate shopping centre in 2013 and nearly 150 students at Garissa University in 2015.
Al-Shabab says its attacks are revenge for Kenyan troops stationed inside Somalia.
In June, it took responsibility for a roadside bomb attack in Kenya's Wajir county that killed at least eight police officers.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
2 minutes -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
8 minutes -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
12 minutes -
AGA Obuasi Mine and partners inspire girls at Asare Bediako SHS to pursue careers in STEM
13 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates Spatial Planning Committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
23 minutes -
AI-driven technology set to boost farmers’ productivity and cut seed losses in Ghana
23 minutes -
Early polls are misleading – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu on Ghana’s 2028 elections
29 minutes -
Black Princesses arrive in Ghana after victory over South Africa
31 minutes -
NPP primaries: Gideon Boako reconciles opposing camps in Tano North
37 minutes -
‘We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda’ – Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson
39 minutes -
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
54 minutes -
ECG schedules outages on Tuesdays for Ahodwo-Santasi transmission lines relocation
57 minutes -
Female Israeli soldiers rescued after being chased by ultra-Orthodox men
57 minutes -
GCB Bank PLC prepares to launch non-interest banking window following high-level talks with IIFM
1 hour -
GPL 2025/26: Kotoko title hopes dented after Hearts of Oak loss – Interim coach
1 hour
