Audio By Carbonatix
Former Minister of Works and Housing and senior lawyer, Samuel Atta Akyea, has issued a statement explaining why he granted an interview request from TV3’s Beatrice Adu, despite the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) boycott of the media outlet.
In his statement, Mr Atta Akyea said the matter arose from ongoing court proceedings in which he is representing Kwabena Adu-Boahene, former Director General of the National Signals Bureau and others.
He explained that on Wednesday, September 10, 2025, he moved a notice of motion at the High Court, General Jurisdiction 10, for a stay of proceedings pending an appeal against a ruling that denied his clients access to evidential material he described as critical and exculpatory.
According to him, the Deputy Attorney-General, Justice Srem-Sai, opposed his arguments and the case was adjourned to October 17, 2025 for the court’s decision.
He said during the hearing, the Deputy Attorney-General alleged that he, (Atta Akyea) had been engaging the press to influence the trial, a claim the judge dismissed, stating that the court could not be “press-ruled.”
Mr Atta Akyea noted that after the hearing, a journalist, Beatrice Adu, reached out requesting an interview on the matter. “I did not decline the request by reason of the shabby treatment some members of the press are meting out to my client, Mr Kwabena Adu-Boahene and his family,” he explained.
He said the interview took place on Friday, September 12, 2025, at his law office.
The former Minister stated that he later learnt that the journalist and her crew were from TV3, a station the NPP has boycotted. “I did not know of this continued boycott and will not disrespect the principled position of my Party, relating to their engagements with TV3,” he clarified.
Mr Atta Akyea expressed regret over the development but stressed that he stood by the substance of the interview.
“I regret the unfortunate situation, but I nevertheless own the content of the interview,” said.
Latest Stories
-
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
55 minutes -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
2 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
2 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
3 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
3 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
4 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
4 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
4 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
5 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
5 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
6 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
6 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
7 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
7 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
8 hours
