An Australian MP has proposed to his partner during a parliamentary debate on legalising same-sex marriage.
Tim Wilson's proposal to Ryan Bolger, who was sitting in the public gallery, was met with a loud "yes" – reaffirming a commitment they made nine years ago.
The House of Representatives began debating the bill on Monday, five days after it was passed in the Senate.
Mr Wilson is believed to be the first MP to propose on the floor of the house, officials said.
"In my first speech, I defined our bond by the ring that sits on both of our left hands. They [the rings] are the answer to the question we cannot ask," an emotional Mr Wilson said in his speech.
"So there is only one thing left to do. Ryan Patrick Bolger, will you marry me?"
The question drew cheers and applause. The speaker congratulated the pair, before confirming that Mr Bolger's response had been officially recorded in Hansard.
Mr Wilson said the protracted national debate on same-sex marriage had been the "soundtrack" to their relationship.
Earlier, the government MP spoke about his own experience growing up as a gay teenager and struggling with a stigma surrounding homosexuality.
"This bill rams a stake into the heart of that stigma and its legacy," he said.
Mr Wilson is among 77 MPs who will speak on the bill. A vote is likely to happen this week unless there are significant amendments.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
2021 Imola GP: 5 Things We Learned
Kuami Eugene reacts after KiDi said his communication is poor
Egg vendors in Kumasi lament about poor quality and sizes of eggs on the market
Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
Jobberman Ghana stirs initiative to enable SMEs hire the right way
‘Securing NDC’s Future’ forum alien to party executives – Peter Otokunor
Chief Justice set to establish tax court to help GRA prosecute defaulters
Ghanaian women stranded in Saudi Arabia call on Akufo-Addo for help
Gyakie’s ‘Forever’ at number 3 on Billboard Top Triller Chart
Mary Elizabeth Van Dyck
NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
New cocoa management system to promote transparency
13 drown as vehicle plunges into canal in Philippines
GNC complies with EPA directives to stop pollution of Tano River
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse