A Chinese range of smart SUVs have joined Ghana’s automobile fleet, promising a unique driving and driverless experience.
Meet the Changan fleet – the two-wheel drives – CS35, CS15 and the four-wheel drives – CS75 and the CS95.
Changan is one of the top four automobile brands in China that sells at least 8,500 cars daily across the globe.
The name – ChanG – means Last while AN means safety and so at CHANGAN, the promise is lasting safety.
Here comes a seven-seat, petrol-guzzling, family SUV with a pleasing Chinese interior design including a polished chrome trim, robust switchgear and a crystal-clear infotainment system, which can be displayed in English.
Steering is electrically assisted and a suite of electronic safety aids is either standard or on the options list. Automatic emergency braking, for example, is available as part of the intelligent cruise control package on the top-spec model.
It’s engineering is European, a talent assembled inside the company’s Chinese headquarters.
The CS55 is a sporty model that sits on an all-new front-wheel-drive platform that will serve as the base for a new saloon, which for the first time will see Changan develop multiple models off a new architecture.
Power comes from a four-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol with variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust camshafts.
The suspension is struts at the front, a multi-link axle at the rear, anti-roll bars front and rear. The steering is electric power and the brakes are vented discs at the front, solid at the rear. A subframe carries the powerpack and front suspension, an engineering detail that usually delivers an extra edge of on-road refinement.
The 1.5-litre turbo engine provides enough shove to keep the CS55 buzzing along.
Changan CS35 is offered exclusively with front-wheel drive and a 1.6-liter gasoline engine of 113 hp, which corresponds to the Euro-4 standard.
In addition to the manual gearbox, a 4-speed automatic transmission is offered from the Japanese company Aisin, one of the world leaders in the production of transmissions. Acceleration to a hundred takes 15 seconds with an automatic transmission and 14 seconds in a complete set with a manual transmission. The maximum possible speed of the vehicle is 180 km / h.
The car in the Comfort package is additionally equipped with a mount for installing an IsoFix child seat, roof rails, a standard anti-theft system, parking sensors, rear-view mirrors with turn signal repeaters, an on-board computer with a multifunction display, air conditioning, rear electric windows, full-size spare parts, music with USB , AUX, CD / MP3 and extra airbag for the front passenger.
Luxe complete set with a mechanical gearbox is additionally equipped with side airbags and curtain airbags, rear parking sensors, electric sunroof, electric folding rear-view mirrors and a 12V outlet. Upholstery, steering wheel and seats are made of genuine leather.
The CS35 is capable of parking by itself when it detects enough space to do so unaided.
ALL CHANGAN SUVs are available for viewing at the Hyundai showroom in Accra just after the Obsetsibi Roundabout, Kaneshie.
Have your say
More Automobile Headlines
- Silver Star Auto holds free service week to boost after-sales service
- Meet Changan: Chinese fleet of SUVs arrive in Ghana
- Japan Motors launches upgraded Nissan X-Trail
- Blood on the highway: Reckless driving’s needless grip on life
- Is this the world's most beautiful car?
- More than a ride, an experience: Porsche debuts new concept for 70th birthday
- Volkswagen to kill legendary Beetle
- Toyota: A giant that wants to act small
- A human being has 5 senses but an Alpha Romeo Stelvio driver has 7
- The Junction Mall Auto Show
- Volkswagen pleads guilty in US for Dieselgate-related charges
- Volkswagen tops Toyota to become world's biggest carmaker
- VW to pay record $4.3bn over emissions scandal
- Ludicrous? No, Faraday Future’s Tesla-fighting FF 91 is downright unbelievable
- Quadriplegic driver gets first autonomous car license