The Enchi District Magistrate Court has adjourned a trial involving a banana seller who allegedly defrauded a mobile money merchant of GH₵ 10, 810.00 at Sewum in the Aowin Municipality.
The court presided over by Mr Eric Baah Boateng, had earlier granted Nafisa Dauda, 21, bail in the sum of GH₵10,000.00 with two sureties.
The court ordered one of the sureties to deposit GH₵ 5,000.00 and must also be a resident within the jurisdiction of the court.
She is expected to make her next appearance in Court on Tuesday March 9, 2021.
Prosecuting, Detective Inspector Joseph Kwadwo Agyare told the court that the complainant Henry Fosu and the accused are residents of Sewum.
He said on December 14, 2020, at about 1800 hours, while the complainant was in his office, Nafisa approached him with her mobile phone and alleged that her brother would like to send her an amount of GH₵ 205.00 onto her mobile phone wallet, but the supposed brother was having some network challenge, so he has asked her to contact any mobile money merchant for assistance.
Inspector Agyare said the accused then handed over her mobile phone to the complainant and the said brother reiterated what he allegedly earlier told Nafisa, and added that, he would send the GH₵205.00 in the form of token which is another way of transferring money.
The complainant then informed the alleged brother of Nafisa that he was not conversant with that form of money transfer but the accused’s brother insisted that he would aid the complainant.
Prosecution said after a few minutes Nafisa’s brother alerted the complainant that he had mistakenly transferred a cash sum of GH₵1,599.00 into his accounts so he should restart the process to enable him to reverse the money into his account.
The prosecution said based on that the complainant unknowingly transferred an amount of GH₵9,211.00 into the accused brother’s wallet making the total amount GH₵10, 810.00.
Inspector Agyare said Nafisa failed to pay the money and the complainant reported the matter to the Police where she was arrested and after investigations put before court.
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- Andre Ayew pays courtesy call on National Chief Imam with daughter
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter
- Ukraine war: US says Iran now Russia’s ‘top military backer’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Minority’s failed censure motion and Ghana’s debt exchange programme
- US sports journalist dies in Qatar during Argentina v Netherlands game
- Kweku Antwi Boasiako: Etymology of husband and wife
- World Cup 2022: Brazil ‘in pain’ after exit on penalties against Croatia
- World Cup 2022: Messi the master as Argentina beat Netherlands in chaotic Qatar classic
- Newmont Ahafo Mine recognised for spearheading Agricultural Development in Ahafo
- DBG participates in AADFI CEOs FORUM for African DFIs
- Kuami Eugene, Adina, Joe Mettle, Lasmid and others to thrill fans at 2022 MTN Carols Night
- Government to set up Agricultural Development Zone in Northern Region
- Remembrance yields praises —Elder Nana Amo Tobin
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister