Audio By Carbonatix
Canada's Barrick Mining has officially resumed operational control of its Mali gold mine, according to a company memo seen by Reuters.
Barrick will resume production gradually and will focus on mandatory training for employees and contractors, according to the memo sent by Sebastiaan Bock, Director of Operations for Africa and the Middle East.
The two sides reached an agreement last month to resolve their dispute over Barrick's operations in the West African country after two years of negotiations.
The disagreement over the implementation of a new mining code introduced by the military-led government led to Barrick suspending operations at its gold mining complex in January, and a Malian court-appointed provisional administrator taking control in June.
Barrick agreed to a settlement worth $430 million, a source said.
Last week a Malian judge ordered the return of possession of Barrick's 3 metric tons of gold seized by the country's military government nearly a year ago to the company, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The gold, worth about $400 million, was seized by a military helicopter in January following a confiscation order from a Malian judge. It has remained at the BMS bank in Mali's capital, Bamako, since then, according to both sources.
Barrick, which has activist investor Elliott Capital as one of the shareholders, announced plans to focus on its North American operations, including an IPO for this business under its interim CEO, Mark Hill.
Shares of Barrick were trading 1% higher on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Thursday afternoon.
Latest Stories
-
From UK losses to Ghana gains: CEO of Jacob West Limited Michael Kyei-Ayensu details real estate journey
26 minutes -
Over 1,000 Kenyans enlisted to fight in Russia-Ukraine war, report says
40 minutes -
Robert Mugabe’s son arrested in South Africa on suspicion of attempted murder
51 minutes -
Minority rejects Security and Intelligence Agencies Bill, cites ‘excessive executive powers’
53 minutes -
Islamist militants accused of killing 34 in raids on Nigerian villages
1 hour -
DVLA commissions new premium service centre in Kumasi to better serve customers
1 hour -
BoG warns of downside risks to cedi as a result of dividend payments
1 hour -
Consumer spending posted mixed performance in 11 months of 2025 – BoG
1 hour -
Wa District Magistrate Court convicts three for unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition
2 hours -
There is no governance gap at Defence Ministry – Kwakye Ofosu
2 hours -
Mahama to appoint Defence Minister ‘at the right time’ – Government
2 hours -
GRA boss donates to Mahama Cares
2 hours -
Education Ministry warns of severe consequences for assault on teachers
2 hours -
Absence of substantive Defence Minister a strategic risk – Amankwa-Manu
2 hours -
CDD reports tangible fall in cost of living during first year of Mahama administration
2 hours
