Audio By Carbonatix
Jude Bellingham has been given a suspended one-game ban following a UEFA investigation into the lewd gesture he appeared to make towards the Slovakia bench in the European Championship last 16.
Bellingham will be available for England’s quarter-final tie against Switzerland in Dusseldorf on Saturday. He has also been fined €30,000, while the English FA has been fined €11,000 for the lighting of fireworks and crowd disturbances by supporters during the Slovakia match.
UEFA released a statement on Monday which said Bellingham would be investigated “regarding a potential violation of the basic rules of decent conduct”. European football’s governing body had previously indicated Bellingham was not expected to face any punishment.
The 21-year-old scored a last-minute equaliser to force the last-16 game into extra time, with Harry Kane then netting the winning goal to set up a quarter-final tie against Switzerland.
Bellingham appeared to follow his 95th-minute strike in Gelsenkirchen by making a lewd gesture in the direction of Slovakia’s bench.
He later claimed on social media that it was an “inside joke gesture” towards his close friends who were at the game. “Nothing but respect for how that Slovakia team played tonight,” he added.
According to the International Football Association Board’s (IFAB) laws of the game, any “obscene gesture” or “offensive or insulting action” should be punishable by a red card.
Latest Stories
-
Police assessing Stansted Airport private flights over Epstein ties
3 hours -
Nine arrested in France over death of far-right student
3 hours -
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
3 hours -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
3 hours -
Mahama opens maiden Tree Crop Investment Summit, pushes value addition and jobs
3 hours -
Police recover five assault rifles after Bono shootout, one suspect killed
3 hours -
Nana B slams Special Prosecutor over presidential primaries investigations
4 hours -
The ‘Ghana Must Go’ bag of integrity: 3 police officers return GH₵85k
4 hours -
Ghana must help Burkina Faso tackle terror threat – Expert says
4 hours -
Police return GH¢85,000 found on Techiman–Kumasi highway to owner
4 hours -
NSA assures service personnel of prompt payment of outstanding allowances
4 hours -
The Wahala Playbook: A quintessential guide to burying national scandals with internet gossip
4 hours -
Burkina Faso attack: Travel advisory insufficient, urgent security measures needed – Samuel Jinapor
4 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Decision-Making Speed and Quality.
5 hours -
Emmanuel Bedzrah cuts sod for 17 educational infrastructure projects in Ho West
5 hours
