Business Executive Prince Charles Dedjoe, accused of spousal murder, has been granted bail by an Accra High Court, General Jurisdiction Division.
Dedjoe was granted bail in the sum of ¢200,000 with two sureties by the Court, presided over by Mr Justice Ernest Yao Gaewu, last Friday, the Ghana News Agency has gathered.
The Court ordered Dedjoe to be reporting to the police once every two weeks pending the trial.
Dedjoe, through his lawyer, had battled for bail on a number of occasions at the High Court.
He is accused of allegedly murdering his wife, Lilian Dedjoe, a 43-year-old trader at East Legon, after beating her with slippers.
A Madina District Court earlier remanded Dedjoe into lawful custody after it had turned down his bail application.
On May 25, this year, Dedjoe filed a motion on notice for an order of bail pending trial.
The State, led by Anastacia Karimu, an Assistant Attorney, opposed the motion on notice for an order for bail pending trial on June 8.
However, the Court (Accra High Court) after hearing the arguments made by the defence counsel and the State Attorney, admitted Dedjoe to bail.
He is expected to appear before the Madina District Court on June 18 for the substantive case.
Dedjoe has had his plea reserved following a charge of murder preferred against him.
Prosecution’s case is that the complainant is the deceased’s father, Mr Charles Seth Bladzu, a Retired Administrator residing at Sogakope in the Volta Region.
Lilian Dedjoe, now deceased, was married to Dedjoe and both lived at East Legon, Accra.
Dedjoe and the deceased’s relationship had been marred with some misunderstanding leading to conflict between them for some time, prosecution said.
On March 1, this year, a misunderstanding ensued between Dedjoe and Lilian, during which Dedjoe allegedly assaulted Lilian, who sustained injuries and later went to the Madina Police Polyclinic for treatment.
Prosecution said when Lilian returned home, her condition deteriorated and on March 6, 2021, she went into coma and was rushed to the Lister Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
A report was made to the police and Dedjoe was arrested and during investigations he admitted assaulting the deceased with slippers.
- ‘Things to buy for Our Day’ – How a pupil’s petition to his mother became a national emergency
- Our Day list: Oswald’s mother explains why her son mentioned Mrs Appiah
- Police arrest suspected criminals in swoop, retrieve weapons in Kumasi
- I will win hands down even against Asiedu Nketia – Assin North NPP parliamentary candidate
- Our Day list: I have a habit of forgetting, that is why my son wrote a letter – Mother
- Our Day list: Naana Opoku Agyemang pledges iPad Pro to Oswald
- Join ‘100-Cedis-a-month Club’ to build National Cathedral – Finance Minister urges Ghanaians
- Free SHS: Akufo-Addo hints at more budgetary allocation to education sector to address access and infrastructure
- Parliament approves Kissi Agyebeng for Special Prosecutor
- Our day list: For the iPad, truthfully I was going to disappoint him – Oswald’s mum admits
Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over ‘Black Widow’ streaming release
Collins Dauda faces criminal charges over Saglemi Housing project
European Super League: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus ‘will continue with plans’
Health Minister prioritized safety over procedures – Group backs Agyeman-Manu
Oswald Gennuh: Five leadership lessons from a daring ‘Our Day’ petition
Ghanaians in UK hail Akufo-Addo-led administration
Invest in other businesses too – Ohemaa Mercy
Tokyo 2020: Nadia Eke eliminated, announces retirement
CEO of Vodafone Wins Africa’s Most Respected CEO in Telecommunications
Koforidua Technical University awarded for implementing Ghana electronic procurement system
‘Most wonderful decision I ever took was to share my life and heart with you’ – Lordina tells Mahama on 29 years of marriage
This is my best Our Day – Boy who wrote wishlist to mother
Develop innovative finance for climate action in Ghana – Environmental NGOs advocate
We are considering free Tertiary education too- Akufo-Addo
We are determined to make mining attractive – Mireku Duker