Ghana Home Loans now GHL Bank is promising to change the way construction and mortgage financing is done in the country as it formally begins operations Wednesday.
The institution which has been operating as a mortgage finance company over the past 10 years recently secured a license from the Bank of Ghana to operate as a universal bank.
Managing Director of GHL bank Dominic Adu told JoyBusiness challenges in carrying out some financial transactions actually forced them to push for a banking license.
Ghana Home Loans last year secured a provisional license from the Central Bank to operate as a commercial bank. The entry of GHL bank would now increase the number of commercial banks in the country to 34.
“We saw some gaps in the business model that we were operating and we realized that we were not banking the self -employed which made it very difficult to determine their level of income in pricing their mortgages,” he explained.
Mr Adu also added that they have the required capital from their "shareholders and investors to play in the universal banking space, looking at what we have done over the year. We have financed over $160 million loans to homeowners in the last 10 years”.
On concerns that GHL Bank would struggle to survive in an industry that has seen some banks go down recently, Mr Adu maintained that it has what it takes to do business in the commercial banking space, looking at its operations over the years.
GHL Bank plans to meet the new capital level of ¢400 million by the first quarter of next year. It has a private equity group Abraaj as its major shareholder, with IFC, a finance company, PROPACCO as minority investors.
The bank also has former Group Chief Executive of Ecobank, Albert Essien as its Board Chair, whom they believe would bring his banking experience to help grow and expand the operations of GHL Bank.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Menzgold staff react to “it’s greed” comment by Finance Minister
- 41 companies, individuals recognised at 5th Ghana Oil and Gas awards
- NLA boss refurbishes Lotto Marketing Companies head office
- Small-scale miners support new policy
- BoG okays First Atlantic, Energy Commercial Bank merger talks
- Access Bank appoints new Managing Director
- MTN Foundation gives 100 PCs to Tardi Technical University
- GSE to introduce MoMo for trading on secondary market in 2019
- Scania West Africa introduces new truck generation range
- VIDEO: Bank mergers; BoG may give ‘waivers’ to some banks – Otu Acheampong
- South Africa Civil Aviation Authority grounds CemAir's 21 planes
- Construction of Takoradi Airport starts 2019
- Fuel prices to reduce further from next week
- ACEP: $51.3 million saving on AMERI deal commendable
- GCB supports completion of Alavanyo Maternity Clinic with ¢100,000