Ecobank Ghana has taken financial inclusion a step further by launching the Express Account Promotion which gives all Ghanaians the platform to transact business and make payments across 34 countries online.
Speaking at a press launch, Managing Director of Ecobank, Dan Sackey said the new mobile application sets the pace in the banking sector to take in Ghana's unbanked population.
He said financial inclusion required a concerted effort and cannot be done alone.
According to him, the Xpress Account is “one of the surest ways by which we can contribute to making Ghana a cashlite, society.”
The Ecobank Express Account is a self-service, real-time, online digital account or wallet that is easily operated on the mobile phone.
With a registered SIM, one can download the Ecobank Mobile App, open an Ecobank Xpress Account instantly and start transacting business.
“Currently, you can withdraw or deposit money into your Xpress account from any of the over 1,500 designated Ecobank Xpress Point locations around the country. You can also send and receive money to and from any bank account or mobile money wallet in Ghana as well as send and receive money across the 34 countries we operate within Africa,” Mr Sackey stated.
Responding to questions on how this new product plays in the mobile money ecosystem, Head of Consumer Banking at Ecobank, Tara Squire told JoyBusiness the product rather complements government’s urge to ensure a cashlite society and advance the course of mobile money interoperability.
The launch is a mass drive aimed at encouraging customers and the public to use the Ecobank Xpress Account for payments in place of cash transactions. Non-customers are encouraged to open the Ecobank Xpress Account instantly, fund it and use it for transactions for cash prizes.
Xpress Point an Agency banking agreement between Ecobank Ghana and Vivo Energy Ghana Limited (Parent Company of Shell Ghana) provides customers with banking services such as deposits and withdrawals, sending and receiving money from other Ecobank accounts to customers across Africa.
Xpress point will provide banking services such as withdrawals, deposits, sending and receiving money from other Ecobank accounts across Africa.
It will also offer services under some international cards such as Visa and MasterCard.
For starters, the service will be available at 17 selected Shell outlets. These selected service centre will be in Accra, Tema, Kasoa, Kumasi, Mankesim, Koforidua, Peduase, Akatsi and Aflao.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Opportunity International drives financial literacy in rural communities
- AirtelTigo partners Huawei to boost smartphone usage with free data
- Africa's no. 1 bank says Lonmin Investors should reject bid
- Entervarsity launches platform to aid students' search on courses
- VIDEO: Review of Ghana’s home ownership, mortgage space
- Court orders arbitration on uniBank
- Stratcomm Africa CEO inspires young Women in PR Ghana
- Facebook plans to launch 'GlobalCoin' currency in 2020
- Unilever Ghana records 296% increase in profits for 2018
- Senegal imports turbines for West Africa's first big wind farm project
- Six oil exploration blocks up for grabs in Voltaian basin
- Stakeholders urge GNPC to be more transparent with crude oil trade
- 200 Muslim households benefit from Karpowership Ramadan donation
- Three Ghanaians complete Inlaks Graduate Development Programme in Lagos
- GOIL grows profits by 26% in 2018