The role of agriculture in Ghana’s economy cannot be understated. From food items for our consumption and export, jobs and employment and many others.
History of Ghana tells us the significant role it has played from colonial times right down to independence.
Despite its many benefits as it is often characterized as the mainstay or backbone, it seems we have been comfortable with this and we as a people have not paid significant attention to the other sectors of the economy, particularly industry.
On PM EXPRESS BUSINESS EDITION, Philip Nanfuri explores a critical component of agriculture - financing.
Are financial lenders shying away? If that's the case then why? What can be done about it?
The government in the 2019 budget says it is going to operationalize a system for agricultural lending, GIRSAL. Will it work and what exactly is it?
Click on the video below to follow the discussion:
How much do banks lend to the agricultural sector? A whopping 3.9% of all loans given by banks go to the agricultural sector. Sectors such as Commerce and Finance are pulling much more credit. Why is this so?
Growth rates in the sector were abysmal but have picked up? Can we sustain it?
Agriculture's share of GDP has declined over the course of time with services overtaking it, is this a cause for concern?
The agricultural sector's share of GDP in some developed countries is low but there's enough to feed its nation and export.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Small-scale miners support new policy
- BoG okays First Atlantic, Energy Commercial Bank merger talks
- Access Bank appoints new Managing Director
- MTN Foundation gives 100 PCs to Tardi Technical University
- GSE to introduce MoMo for trading on secondary market in 2019
- Scania West Africa introduces new truck generation range
- VIDEO: Bank mergers; BoG may give ‘waivers’ to some banks – Otu Acheampong
- South Africa Civil Aviation Authority grounds CemAir's 21 planes
- Construction of Takoradi Airport starts 2019
- Fuel prices to reduce further from next week
- ACEP: $51.3 million saving on AMERI deal commendable
- GCB supports completion of Alavanyo Maternity Clinic with ¢100,000
- Julian Kingsley Opuni appointed new Fidelity Bank Managing Director
- I doubt ADB would delist from Ghana Stock Exchange – GSE boss
- VIDEO: Farmers urge gov't to revamp Ghana’s seed factories