The role of agriculture in Ghana’s economy cannot be understated. From food items for our consumption and export, jobs and employment and many others.
History of Ghana tells us the significant role it has played from colonial times right down to independence.
Despite its many benefits as it is often characterized as the mainstay or backbone, it seems we have been comfortable with this and we as a people have not paid significant attention to the other sectors of the economy, particularly industry.
On PM EXPRESS BUSINESS EDITION, Philip Nanfuri explores a critical component of agriculture - financing.
Are financial lenders shying away? If that's the case then why? What can be done about it?
The government in the 2019 budget says it is going to operationalize a system for agricultural lending, GIRSAL. Will it work and what exactly is it?
Click on the video below to follow the discussion:
How much do banks lend to the agricultural sector? A whopping 3.9% of all loans given by banks go to the agricultural sector. Sectors such as Commerce and Finance are pulling much more credit. Why is this so?
Growth rates in the sector were abysmal but have picked up? Can we sustain it?
Agriculture's share of GDP has declined over the course of time with services overtaking it, is this a cause for concern?
The agricultural sector's share of GDP in some developed countries is low but there's enough to feed its nation and export.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- GEPA outlines strategies for increased market share
- Over 15 exploration companies to lose licences by the end of 2019
- Gov't places indefinite ban on export of all leafy vegetables
- Tullow Oil plans $250m investment in Ghana operations
- GCNet deploys upgraded Cargo Manifest to deepen port reforms
- Debt stock goes up ¢22bn in 4 months
- Opportunity International drives financial literacy in rural communities
- AirtelTigo partners Huawei to boost smartphone usage with free data
- Africa's no. 1 bank says Lonmin Investors should reject bid
- Entervarsity launches platform to aid students' search on courses
- VIDEO: Review of Ghana’s home ownership, mortgage space
- Court orders arbitration on uniBank
- Stratcomm Africa CEO inspires young Women in PR Ghana
- Facebook plans to launch 'GlobalCoin' currency in 2020
- Unilever Ghana records 296% increase in profits for 2018