The role of agriculture in Ghana’s economy cannot be understated. From food items for our consumption and export, jobs and employment and many others.
History of Ghana tells us the significant role it has played from colonial times right down to independence.
Despite its many benefits as it is often characterized as the mainstay or backbone, it seems we have been comfortable with this and we as a people have not paid significant attention to the other sectors of the economy, particularly industry.
On PM EXPRESS BUSINESS EDITION, Philip Nanfuri explores a critical component of agriculture - financing.
Are financial lenders shying away? If that's the case then why? What can be done about it?
The government in the 2019 budget says it is going to operationalize a system for agricultural lending, GIRSAL. Will it work and what exactly is it?
Click on the video below to follow the discussion:
How much do banks lend to the agricultural sector? A whopping 3.9% of all loans given by banks go to the agricultural sector. Sectors such as Commerce and Finance are pulling much more credit. Why is this so?
Growth rates in the sector were abysmal but have picked up? Can we sustain it?
Agriculture's share of GDP has declined over the course of time with services overtaking it, is this a cause for concern?
The agricultural sector's share of GDP in some developed countries is low but there's enough to feed its nation and export.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Boeing to take $4.9bn hit in second quarter on 737 Max grounding
- Ghana's total debt stock hits GHS200 billion
- Gov’t urged to formulate new tax compliance rules for increased revenue
- Vodafone talks private sector relevance in SDGs at UN Forum
- Nelson Mandela Day: Barclays, ALU scholars pay courtesy call on SA High Commissioner
- Insurance industry could wield more money than banks – Rev Okosun
- Engage NIC to avoid casualties - CIIG
- Kingdom Exim Ghana, CEO awarded at Ghana Shippers Award 2019
- Enforce laws barring foreigners from retail trade - Majority Leader to agencies
- GTBank, Ria partner Zeepay to launch Ria2Mobile money transfer service
- AirtelTigo mentors 40 young aspiring entrepreneurs
- Alliance Motors launches 2019 Range Rover Evoque
- AUDIO: Mid-year review, Supplementary Budget to be presented July 29
- Ghana, Ivory Coast lift ban on cocoa sales
- GIFEC, GSMA, Vodafone to connect rural communities to internet