The year on year inflation rate for the month of January dropped to 10.3 percent from 11.8 percent recorded in December, 2017.
This rate of inflation for January 2018 is the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) over the twelve-month period, from January 2017 to January 2018.
The monthly change rate for January 2018 was 1.4 percent compared to the 1.0 percent recorded for December 2017.
The food and non-alcoholic beverages group recorded a year-on-year inflation rate of 6.8 percent. This is 1.2 percentage points lower than the rate recorded in December 2017. Six subgroups of the food and non-alcoholic beverages group recorded inflation rates higher than the group’s average rate of 6.8 percent.
The non-food group recorded a year-on-year inflation rate is 12.0 percent in January, compared to the 13.6 percent recorded for December, 2017. Five subgroups recorded year-on-year inflation rates higher than the group’s average of 12.0 percent.
Transport recorded the highest inflation rate of 17.9 percent, followed by Clothing and footwear with 16.7 percent, Recreation and culture with 13.7 percent, Miscellaneous goods and services with 12.7 percent and furnishings, household equipment and routine maintenance with 12.1 percent. Inflation was lowest in the education subgroup with 5.5 percent.
At the regional level, the year-on-year inflation rate ranged from 7.8 percent in Upper East region to 12.1 percent in Upper West region.
Four regions Upper West, Brong Ahafo, Ashanti and Greater Accra regions recorded inflation rates above the national average rate of 10.3 percent. Upper East recorded the lowest inflation rate of 7.8 percent.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- PwC to take legal action against loan defaulters of defunct UT, Capital Banks
- Tanzania delegation understudies NLA's transformational agenda
- GRA confident its international partnership will help boost revenue
- Kasapreko, Tetra Pak launch new automated carton aseptic juice line
- MASLOC boss grabs multiple awards
- Mobile Network Operators challenge NCA fine
- The greed factor in investment decisions
- Societe Generale sells South African unit to ABSA
- NPA denies allegations of ‘reckless victimisation’ of local LPG operators
- Mobile telephony: State-operator relations - A land to clear
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019