About 1,000 young entrepreneurs are set to receive soft loans this month under the National Entrepreneurship Innovation Plan.
Potential beneficiaries will receive between ¢10,000 and ¢100,000 each depending on project scope at 10 per cent interest rate.
The initial $10 million package earmarked for the project which will include 1,000 females has been increased to $100 million.
Minister for Business Development, Dr Mohammed Awal, speaking at a breakfast meeting with CEOs of the Ghana Employers Association in Kumasi said government will soon announce a similar package for what it describes as established but struggling businesses.
He believes the measure will cushion industry to realize government’s Ghana Beyond Aid agenda.
Dr Awal charged the business owners to put succession plans in place to ensure their businesses survive through generations.
“All the businesses we knew when we were young, where are they? When the owners die, they are gone. Can we find a mechanism to make sure that businesses survive after we’re no more”, he queried.
Dr Awal promised massive road infrastructure and railway development to promote sub-regional economic activities.
Chairman of Ashanti Regional Advisory Committee of the Employers Association and Chief Executive of Aspee Pharmaceuticals, Aboasu Amponsah Kodua wants government support on-going pharmaceutical grade cassava starch research.
The initiative is being carried out by the Department of Pharmaceutics of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, (KNUST).
He believes the project has the potential to reduce Ghana’s import bill on cornstarch for the manufacture of drugs.
“Government stands to gain a lot if your outfit can fast track in getting investors to partner industry and academia,” he emphasized.
Mr Amponsah Kodua also called for collaboration with Health Ministry for local supply of ingredients of restricted medicines to make them cheaper.
He asked the government to pay attention to maize and soya bean production, as shortage continues to plague the poultry industry.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- PwC to take legal action against loan defaulters of defunct UT, Capital Banks
- Tanzania delegation understudies NLA's transformational agenda
- GRA confident its international partnership will help boost revenue
- Kasapreko, Tetra Pak launch new automated carton aseptic juice line
- MASLOC boss grabs multiple awards
- Mobile Network Operators challenge NCA fine
- The greed factor in investment decisions
- Societe Generale sells South African unit to ABSA
- NPA denies allegations of ‘reckless victimisation’ of local LPG operators
- Mobile telephony: State-operator relations - A land to clear
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019