Five young students at the Abibifahodie Adesuabea have invented a solar oven with a box to bake and heat foods.
“The solar oven was basically made from a pizza box” one student told Joy News’ Selinam Ampo.
These children between the ages of 8 and 13 said, they came up with the idea in a month after their school tasked them to create something new.
“We wanted to do it because we thought that using coal to power things is harmful to the environment,” she said.
The students told Joy News that heavy-duty foil, thermometer, black construction paper and clear plastic wrap, are some of the materials they used with the box to create the solar oven.
“The foil is used to reflect the sun rays into the pizza box, the plastic wrap is for insulation and the black construction paper absorbs the sun’s heat,” another student explained.
“You can bake lots of foods like muffins and biscuit and reheat foods like spaghetti, pizza and many others,” she added.
However, like any solar machine when there is no sunlight, the oven cannot be used but the students already have plans to improve on the quality and durability of the products.
“We would like to make some changes to the oven because there is a slight problem with the insulation and also we would like to have a battery for it so that on rainy days the oven can still be used,” they said.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- MASLOC boss grabs multiple awards
- Mobile Network Operators challenge NCA fine
- The greed factor in investment decisions
- Societe Generale sells South African unit to ABSA
- NPA denies allegations of ‘reckless victimisation’ of local LPG operators
- Mobile telephony: State-operator relations - A land to clear
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019
- GRA to introduce new measure to control transit trading
- Moody’s lauds banking sector reforms
- Tullow targets drilling, completion of works on new wells in this year
- Ghanaian-Lebanese appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan