The Securities and Exchange Commission says it is not out there to destroy anyone’s business but only committed to its statutory mandate.
“SEC is not out to destroy anyone’s business.it is only committed to its statutory mandate to protect the interest of investors,” a statement from SEC avers.
According to SEC, it has taken note of various unlicensed financial investment schemes and products being offered publicly to the unsuspecting general public through various media forms including electronic, outdoor and mass media advertising.
The statement said, “the unique selling propositions of these schemes and products is the unreasonably high rates of return or interest per month or year promised to the investor public. Some of the guaranteed returns range from 6%, 10%, 20% 40% and even as high as 70% a month translating into, 72%, 120%, 240%, 240%, 480% and 840% respectively.
It has come to our notice that some of these high rates of promises interest are surprisingly dollar denominated.”
Meanwhile, the Securities and Exchange Commision is warning that “operators of these unlicensed financial investment schemes are in serious breach of the various provisions of the Securities Industry Act, 2016 (Act929) and are warned to close down or risk being caught on the wrong side of the law.”
Read the full statement below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Oracle executives meets Akufo-Addo
- VP Bawumia attends UK-Ghana Business Council meeting
- Gov't hints of tax exemptions adjustment
- 5 defendants demand documents from uniBank’s Receiver
- Standard Chartered launches full Digital Bank on mobile
- Cedi falls to record low as foreign investors shun Ghana bonds
- Zimbabwe launches new, discounted currency as banks reopen
- MTN Group appoints Oyebowale Akideinde Head OTT Music Services
- Key Soap rewards loyal consumers at Promo Baako Pe 2018 grand finale
- Nigeria hits oil majors with billions in back taxes
- South Africa's Eskom bailout could reach $10.79 billion
- Financial Stability Advisory Council a step in the right direction - Banking consultant
- VIDEO: SONA 2019 - What President Akufo-Addo said on the economy
- Allow us to advertise – Medical directors urge regulator
- Anglogold Ashanti supports small scale industries with maiden trade show in Obuasi