The efficient manner in which AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited (AGA) manages its Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ) has been appreciated at the maiden edition of the Ghana Business Awards.
At the event, which was held recently in Accra, the company’s efforts were rewarded with the “Excellence in HSEQ of the year’ award.
The citation that accompanied the award said, “it is in recognition of AGA’S efforts in introducing effective safety measures and demonstrable improvements in occupational health and safety as well as in risk reduction”.
Over the years, AGA has therefore established efficient HSEQ management systems and processes at its corporate offices as well as the mining sites.
These systems and processes have ensured that workers of the company are well protected while on duty. The staff are subjected to elaborate health and safety procedures with caution signs displayed at vantage points.
Commenting on the award, Nana Ampofo Bekoe, Sustainability Manager of AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi said, “at AGA, safety is our first value. We are delighted about this recognition which confirms the importance we attach to health and safety matters at AGA.
“The award is an indication that we are on the right track with respect to Health, Safety, Environment and Quality issues at AGA and it will motivate us to do more in that direction”.
He stated that AGA places people first and is responsible for seeking new and innovative ways to ensure that the work environment is free of occupational injury and illness.
“We live each day for each other and use our collective commitment, talents, resources and systems to deliver on our most important commitment which is to care for our people,” Mr. Bekoe said.
The Ghana Business Awards is an awards scheme that recognizes and rewards excellence across all sectors of the Ghanaian economy.
It also provides the platform to recognize the efforts of individuals and companies that play a significant role in the growth and development of the business sector.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Ghana leads SWIFT financial messaging transactions in West Africa
- Vodafone shows new level with “Bossu”
- NPA directs OMC’s to re-introduce Stabilization and Recovery Levy
- MTN staff organises skills training for 1000 youth across Ghana
- Receiver for Unibank files application to halt arbitration hearing
- Cocoa supply chain summit held to push ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ agenda
- Ghana launches Chamber of Independent Power Producers
- 3rd China Trade Week opens in Accra
- Ecobank named ‘Best Retail Bank in Africa’
- HK billionaire to pay $14m in tuition fees for Chinese students
- MP calls for increased investment in renewable energy
- Dalex rewards top performing sales staff with trip to Dubai
- Ghana’s economy grew by 6.7% in Q1 of 2019
- Tullow beefs up security on FPSO Kwame Nkrumah after man jumps overboard
- ‘They can’t be bothered’ – SEC accused as millions get locked up in troubled firms