The Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II has commended Vodafone for appointing a Ghanaian CEO to steer the affairs of the company.
Vodafone last month announced that Patricia Obo-Nai, Director of Customer Operations and Fixed Business, will replace Yolanda Cuba as Chief Executive, effective April 1, 2019.
Yolanda Cuba was returning to a role as Chief Strategy Officer at Vodacom South Africa, having completed her three-year assignment in Ghana.
Commenting on the appointment during a courtesy call on him by the Management of Vodafone to officially introduce the new CEO to him, Otumfuo Osei Tutu said it was satisfying that the telecoms giant has finally appointed Ghanaian to be at the helm of affairs.
"I commend you for this achievement and I’m confident that she will be given the needed support to succeed and build on the legacy of Yolanda by taking the company to greater heights,” he said.
The Vodafone delegation to the Asantehene was led by Board Chairman Dr Kobina Quansah, External Affairs Director, Gayheart Mensah and Human Resources Director, Ashiokai Akrong and other Vodafone officials from the Accra and Kumasi offices.
Speaking during the visit, Chief Executive Patricia Obo-Nai said: “I want to, first of all, congratulate Nana on the occasion of the Twentieth Anniversary of his coronation. I also commend him for his unparalleled contribution and leadership in the economic and social development of this region. Finally, I want to assure all our customers that we will continue to remain a leader in innovation and creativity in the industry whilst ensuring that their technological future is exciting.”
The visit was also to update the Otumfuo on the upcoming Asantehene Golf Open Championship, for which Vodafone is the headline sponsor. This year’s tournament, which begins on May 8th, 2019, is expected to assume another dimension of prominence as it coincides with the 20th Anniversary of the coronation of the great monarch.
The team also donated a cheque of GHC 50,000 towards the celebration of his Royal Majesty’s coronation.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Vodafone talks private sector relevance in SDGs at UN Forum
- Nelson Mandela Day: Barclays, ALU scholars pay courtesy call on SA High Commissioner
- Insurance industry could wield more money than banks – Rev Okosun
- Engage NIC to avoid casualties - CIIG
- Kingdom Exim Ghana, CEO awarded at Ghana Shippers Award 2019
- Enforce laws barring foreigners from retail trade - Majority Leader to agencies
- GTBank, Ria partner Zeepay to launch Ria2Mobile money transfer service
- AirtelTigo mentors 40 young aspiring entrepreneurs
- Alliance Motors launches 2019 Range Rover Evoque
- Mid-year review, Supplementary Budget to be presented July 22
- Ghana, Ivory Coast lift ban on cocoa sales
- GIFEC, GSMA, Vodafone to connect rural communities to internet
- Take Pension Serious – NBC Ghana Trust boss charges Ghanaians
- ABL ends Retailer Development Program
- Aker Energy’s IPO may be in late 2019 or 2020 - CEO