The 101 entrepreneurial young Ghanaians selected to take part in the 2019 AgriTech Challenge, run by the Kosmos Innovation Center (KIC), are halfway through their 12-day market research tour.
Designed to kickstart their intensive, 10 months journey, the market research tour will take them to six regions in Ghana where they’ll learn about the challenges facing the country’s agricultural sector.
Taking in Greater Accra, Eastern, Volta, Ashanti, Brong-Ahafo and Northern Ghana, the market research tour is an integral component of the KIC programme.
It exposes the future “AgriTechies” to the key players involved in across the entire agricultural value chain, from farming practices start through to packaging and sales, and more.
During this tour, the AgriTechies, who are drawn from all over Ghana, will interact directly with farmers and regional agri-businesses to learn about the challenges facing those involved.
At the same time, they will collect valuable insights and inputs from the people they meet, which will act as the future building block for business development.
Starting with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, the participants will also visit 25 other institutions and agribusiness engaged in cash crops production, livestock, agro-processing, irrigation, packaging, greenhouse farming to understand wider government and trade practices.
Since the launch of the AgriTech Challenge three years ago, 11 companies, each providing solutions to key challenges in the value chain, have been created.
Expert training, capacity building and mentorship has also been provided to more than 300 young men and women.
Vice President and Country Manager, Kosmos Energy, Joe Mensah said “Everyone at the Kosmos Innovation Center is looking forward to another successful season.
This year, the programme has once again attracted another cohort of very talented individuals who have a passion for innovation and who see a real business opportunity in tackling challenges in our country’s agricultural sector.”
He added, “We’re delighted to play our part, supporting ambitious small businesses to grow sustainably and in encouraging young entrepreneurs to realise their true potential.”
About the Kosmos Innovation Center
Created in 2016 to help build a brighter future, the Kosmos Innovation Center (KIC) is Kosmos Energy’s flagship social investment program in Ghana.
The KIC begins its work by choosing an area of focus from one of Ghana’s many different sectors. In its first year, the KIC has turned its attention to agriculture – the largest sector of Ghana’s economy – where it continues to pursue and nurture the development of market-based solutions that address development challenges.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- NCA revokes Expresso's operating licence
- ECG takeover to happen Feb. 27
- SONA 2019: Govt to launch National Automotive Policy in March
- Ghana needs $2bn agro, industry investment to stabilise cedi
- Jubilee House to be powered by Solar energy from August
- Tax exemption policy growing menace to fiscal stability, revenue generation – Akufo-Addo
- Africa needs to implement continental strategy on technology – Fidelity MD
- Oil hovers near 2019 highs amid OPEC cuts
- Tullow Ghana deepens its local content agenda through maiden mentorship program
- Pressure on cedi backed by real demand by businesses – ACI
- GCIC entrepreneurs generate over $1 million in revenue
- Silver Star Auto unveils Mercedes-Benz ambulances in Ghana
- Local steel industry touted as backbone of Ghanaian economy
- Banking sector reforms: Fiscal and macroeconomic costs - 2
- Ghana drops five points on latest Consumer Confidence Index