The 101 entrepreneurial young Ghanaians selected to take part in the 2019 AgriTech Challenge, run by the Kosmos Innovation Center (KIC), are halfway through their 12-day market research tour.
Designed to kickstart their intensive, 10 months journey, the market research tour will take them to six regions in Ghana where they’ll learn about the challenges facing the country’s agricultural sector.
Taking in Greater Accra, Eastern, Volta, Ashanti, Brong-Ahafo and Northern Ghana, the market research tour is an integral component of the KIC programme.
It exposes the future “AgriTechies” to the key players involved in across the entire agricultural value chain, from farming practices start through to packaging and sales, and more.
During this tour, the AgriTechies, who are drawn from all over Ghana, will interact directly with farmers and regional agri-businesses to learn about the challenges facing those involved.
At the same time, they will collect valuable insights and inputs from the people they meet, which will act as the future building block for business development.
Starting with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, the participants will also visit 25 other institutions and agribusiness engaged in cash crops production, livestock, agro-processing, irrigation, packaging, greenhouse farming to understand wider government and trade practices.
Since the launch of the AgriTech Challenge three years ago, 11 companies, each providing solutions to key challenges in the value chain, have been created.
Expert training, capacity building and mentorship has also been provided to more than 300 young men and women.
Vice President and Country Manager, Kosmos Energy, Joe Mensah said “Everyone at the Kosmos Innovation Center is looking forward to another successful season.
This year, the programme has once again attracted another cohort of very talented individuals who have a passion for innovation and who see a real business opportunity in tackling challenges in our country’s agricultural sector.”
He added, “We’re delighted to play our part, supporting ambitious small businesses to grow sustainably and in encouraging young entrepreneurs to realise their true potential.”
About the Kosmos Innovation Center
Created in 2016 to help build a brighter future, the Kosmos Innovation Center (KIC) is Kosmos Energy’s flagship social investment program in Ghana.
The KIC begins its work by choosing an area of focus from one of Ghana’s many different sectors. In its first year, the KIC has turned its attention to agriculture – the largest sector of Ghana’s economy – where it continues to pursue and nurture the development of market-based solutions that address development challenges.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Upper West: 1,022 bags of maize harvested under PFJs
- Gov’t, Labour agree to build consensus on dev’t issues
- Ofori-Atta steers World Bank/IMF Development Committee on global dev't issues
- Airports Company considers reserving Terminal 2 for home-based carrier
- Gov't working to reduce aviation fuel, other airline taxes
- GNPC Foundation produces best ever local rice
- Good or bad? GUTA, AGI disagree on reduction of import duties
- Emirates rolls out special Easter menus
- Today's students are 'irrelevant' to tomorrow’s market - Ken Thompson
- Old Mutual Ghana rewards top performing staff with trip to Zaina Lodge
- Pay your taxes to ensure success of Ghana Beyond Aid policy – GRA official
- PDS blames GRIDco for Thursday’s intermittent power outages
- GRA to introduce electronic Vehicle Income Tax payment
- Aviation Ministry details why KIA is not for sale
- World's most miserable economy has seven-figure inflation