The Bank of Ghana over the past two years has taken what some may describe as bold moves in the Banking and specialized deposit-taking space.
Since August 2017 till date a total of 9 banks and 386 microfinance and microcredit institutions have been collapsed.
These closures have significantly had an impact on the economy as jobs, businesses hanged in the balance. One important effect of this is the debt that has accumulated. As at March 2019 the resolution of the issues in the financial sector have cost us GHC 11 billion.
The most recent is the microfinance and microcredit institutions. Now the attention is going to shift from that to the Savings and Loans, Rural and Community Banks and Finance Houses.
What does the Savings and Loans sector look like? Here's some data from the Ghana Association of Savings and Loans Companies (GHASALC)
What lessons can we learn and how should this be carried out? My guests, Tweneboah Koduah Boakye, Executive Secretary of the Ghana Association of Savings and loans Companies (GHASALC) and Executive Director, Ghana Microfinance Institutions Network( GHAMFIN), Yaw Gyamfi believe panicking is not the way and all should remain calm.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Bawumia lead gov't's trade, investment delegation to Canada
- Fidelity Bank offers ‘unique customer experience on mobile app’
- Yolanda Cuba joins MTN as Group Chief of Digital & Fintech
- 2019 MOBEX Africa Tech Expo & Innovation Awards launched in Accra
- Induction of Insurance Professionals in Ghana - What to expect?
- Ecobank, Partners provide financial support to 16 medical students
- Johannesburg tops Women Entrepreneur Cities Index
- Ghana still high-risk debt of distress country - IMF/World Bank
- Cowbell to construct 20 boreholes to mark 20th anniversary
- Nestle introduces a new kind of chocolate
- Prove your ability to keep debt at sustainable levels - Terkper challenges gov’t
- IMF boss Largade resigns
- PDS urged to use data analytics to improve customer satisfaction
- Businesses urged to respond, deal with issues of sexual harassment
- Land litigations and insurance