Economist, Professor Godfred Bokpin fears government might not be able to achieve full fiscal discipline following the completion of the IMF programme.
Speaking on PM EXPRESS BUSINESS EDITION on the JOYNEWS Chanel on MULTI TV, Prof. Bokpin said “I am a bit concerned that we may not be able to entrench fiscal discipline. We’ve not been able to institutionalize the kind of agency, an independent agency that would hold government accountable…”
He added that all the required measures have not been fully implemented to deal with this challenge.
Government is expected to formally complete the IMF program next Tuesday, April 2.
Finance Minister Ken Ofori Atta has maintained that the necessary structures and laws are in place to check government expenditure.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Goil vs Total: which has the happier shareholders?
- IFS blames high policy rate on gov't borrowing
- Santol Energy meets ISO international standards
- SC Keyboard: StanChart launches first social banking solution
- MTN ends 2019 21 Days of Y’ello Care programme
- Rawlings backs Frimpong Boateng's call for use of organic-based fertilisers
- Gov't injects fresh capital into banks as bond-sale plan flops
- AirtelTigo launches special offer for Hajj pilgrims
- FBNBank appoints Victor Yaw Asante as new MD in Ghana
- Gov’t urged to implement fiscal electronic devices to meet revenue targets
- Lufthansa resumes flights to Cairo, British Airways stays grounded
- Work begins on KIA Terminal 3 to fix flooding
- Mid-Year Review to focus on revenue generation
- GCNet bags third consecutive Trade Facilitation Org. of the Year Award
- Samsung Ghana unveils new large capacity 2-door fridge, QLED PR TV