Economist, Professor Godfred Bokpin fears government might not be able to achieve full fiscal discipline following the completion of the IMF programme.
Speaking on PM EXPRESS BUSINESS EDITION on the JOYNEWS Chanel on MULTI TV, Prof. Bokpin said “I am a bit concerned that we may not be able to entrench fiscal discipline. We’ve not been able to institutionalize the kind of agency, an independent agency that would hold government accountable…”
He added that all the required measures have not been fully implemented to deal with this challenge.
Government is expected to formally complete the IMF program next Tuesday, April 2.
Finance Minister Ken Ofori Atta has maintained that the necessary structures and laws are in place to check government expenditure.
Watch video below:
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- GES-SIC Life launch insurance policy for teachers
- Western North: Cocoa farmers, landowners meet over controversial lease pact
- Police pick up GUTA executives over trade fracas with foreigners
- US billionaires' group calls for wealth tax
- Vodafone’s unveils new offer that allows you to share data in the family
- Zimbabwe ends decade of dollarisation in new currency reform
- China: Africa projects should be sustainable, denounces criticism
- Foreign MoMo operators must have 30% local participation to secure license – BoG
- Special Prosecutor, CHRAJ to assist PIAC to fight misuse of petroleum funds
- KPMG appoints new Senior Partner
- Gov’t gives boost to livestock industry with 'Rearing for Food and Jobs' programme
- Standard Chartered, GCX sign MoU to support farmers
- Premier picks Health Insurance Brand of the Year 2018
- DVLA, Guinness Ghana roll out new drink-drive module
- Access Bank unveils new logo; targets unbanked population through financial technology