Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 61st goal of 2012 as Real Madrid thrashed Ajax 4-1 at the Bernabeu.
The former Manchester United forward, 27, opened the scoring from Karim Benzema’s cross before Jose Maria Callejon doubled the lead.
Kaka then rolled back the years to curl a brilliant third in off the post before Derk Boerrigter pulled one back.
Callejon wrapped up the win late on as Real finished second to Borussia Dortmund in Group D.
Ronaldo has now scored 167 goals in 165 games for Real since joining in 2009, but his achievements in 2012 have been eclipsed by Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, who can match Gerd Mueller’s record of 85 goals in a calendar year if he scores against Benfica on Wednesday.
Elsewhere, Paris Saint-Germain took top spot in Group A after Ezequiel Lavezzi took advantage of poor goalkeeping to seal a 2-1 win at home to Porto.
Thiago Silva headed PSG ahead before Jackson Martinez equalised, but Lavezzi sealed the group for Carlo Ancelotti’s side when his weak shot was fumbled in by Porto goalkeeper Helton. Porto had already qualified and go through in second place.
In a match temporarily suspended due to heavy snow, Dinamo Zagreb claimed their first and only point in Group A when Ivan Krstanovic hit an injury-time penalty to draw 1-1 at home to Dynamo Kiev.
In Group C , a goal by Danny gave Zenit St Petersburg a surprise 1-0 win over runners-up Milan at the San Siro to secure a Europa League spot.
- Takoradi woman in latest fake kidnapping jailed 6 years
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Allegations of bias against Justice Honyenuga unfounded, Opuni trial can proceed – Supreme Court
- Go to IMF for liquidity support; your finances not good – gov’t told
- CAF Confederation Cup: Hearts of Oak drawn with Algeria’s JS Saoura
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- Shatta Wale and Medikal each get ¢100k bail
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
- Social media reacts to Shatta Wale and Medikal bail
Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill: Anyimadu-Antwi backs Speaker’s decision to make sitting public
Man stumbles on mother’s apology letter to father after 28 years
Man stones mother to death in Savannah Region
29 in court for assaulting Police officers in Ada
Sunao Tsuboi: Campaigning Hiroshima survivor dies aged 96
Kufuor Scholars offered scholarship at MountCrest University College
While you disregard your own laws, be mindful of the dire consequences – Isaac Adongo to BoG Governor
‘I still feel traumatised by my experiences in EC’s strong room’ – Kpessa-Whyte
Parliament’s deliberation over Anti-LGBTQ bill could travel into 2022 – Sam George
MTN rewards customers with 5 Hyundai Sonatas under MTN @25 promo
Stacy Maweunam Amewoyi’s ‘Africa And The African’ raises questions about the continent’s fate
Facebook earns $9bn despite whistleblower scandal
UG to provide students, staff with laptops – New Vice-Chancellor announces
Joining Immigration Service will open doors for us to become billionaires – Applicants
International capital market debt constitutes 46% of Ghana’s external debt