Audio By Carbonatix
Coca-Cola is to cut about 2,200 jobs in its global workforce as part of a restructuring plan.
The soft drinks giant's restructure has been accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic which has seen the widespread closure of venues where Coke is sold.
The bulk of the layoffs will be in the US, where it will shed 1,200 jobs.
At the end of 2019, Coca-Cola had around 86,000 employees but faces pressure on its revenues which have been hammered by the pandemic.
About half of Coca-Cola's sales typically comes from consumers drinking its beverages away from home. Social restrictions to curb the spread of the virus have led to widespread closures of bars, restaurants, cinemas and sports stadiums where its drinks are sold.
In August, Coke said it would offer 4,000 workers in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico voluntary layoff packages.
Coke expects the job cuts to result in annual savings of between $350 million and $550 million, a spokesman for the company said.
Slimming down
Coke has responded to the crisis with plans to restructure its business and slim down its portfolio.
The move will see the global drinks giant slash its 430 master brands by more than half to 200, to focus on products that are growing and can achieve a large scale.
It is retiring its Tab soda and Zico coconut water brands, and earlier this year closed its Odwalla juice and smoothie business.
The Atlanta-based company reported revenue of $8.65bn (£6.4bn) for its latest quarter results , a decline of 9% from a year earlier.
The job losses do not affect employees at its bottling plants, most of which are independent.
These bottling operations employ hundreds of thousands of people around the globe.
Latest Stories
-
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
3 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
5 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
11 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
12 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
14 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
19 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
21 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
31 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
39 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
47 minutes -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
51 minutes -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
53 minutes -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
54 minutes -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour -
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
1 hour
