Audio By Carbonatix
The EU's economy grew faster than expected during the summer despite the shock of the coronavirus pandemic. With the second wave hitting Europe, however, the bloc's leaders say there will be no V-shaped recovery.
As Europe wrestles with the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, EU Economic Affairs Commissioner Paolo Gentiloni said that renewed disruptions would "put the recovery on hold in short term."
The pandemic crashed the EU economy earlier this year, but the bloc has been recovering more quickly than expected during July, August and September, as the rate of infections dropped and the authorities loosened lockdowns and travel restrictions.
During those three months, the bloc's GDP grew by 12.7% — the largest increase since records started in 1995.
With infection rates now reaching and surpassing previous levels, however, many EU member states have already reimposed some anti-pandemic measures.
"The rebound has been interrupted." Gentiloni told reporters while announcing the latest forecasts on Thursday.
Full recovery still years away
In July, the European Commission said the economy of the 19 countries that use the euro as currency would grow by 6.1% next year. The latest numbers, however, bring the forecast down to 4.2%. Also, officials say the economy is not expected to go back to "its pre-pandemic level" before 2023.
"We never counted on a V-shaped recovery. Now we know for sure that we won't have one," Gentiloni said.
He added that, due to the virus being unpredictable, the EU's forecasts were "subject to an extremely high degree of uncertainty."
In July, EU leaders agreed to launch a €1.8 trillion ($2.1 trillion) recovery plan to boost the economy. Earlier this week, eurozone finance ministers urged a quick end to the haggling between the EU Parliament and the national governments on the details of the package.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
10 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
11 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
20 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
24 minutes -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
29 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
46 minutes -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
51 minutes -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
55 minutes -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
56 minutes -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
57 minutes -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 hour -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
2 hours
