Audio By Carbonatix
Lebanon's government will impose a two-week lockdown from Saturday to stem a resurgence of Covid-19, even though it will exacerbate a deep economic crisis.
Caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab said a "stage of extreme danger" had been reached, with hospitals unable to admit patients in a critical condition.
Restrictions in place between March and June helped limit the initial outbreak.
But the number of new infections soared after the devastating explosion in the capital Beirut in August.
Lebanon to impose new Covid lockdown despite economic cost https://t.co/el2HpRTgLL
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) November 10, 2020
The health ministry has reported 95,355 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 732 associated deaths since the start of the pandemic.
In the past month 42,000 people have been infected and 277 have died, despite local lockdowns in dozens of towns and villages, night-time curfews across the country, and the closure of all bars and nightclubs.
In a televised address on Tuesday, Mr Diab explained that the current restrictions were not working and that he had no other choice but to impose a full nationwide lockdown because of the risk of Lebanon's fragile health system being overwhelmed.

"Today, we have reached the red line in the number of infections, and we have reached the stage of extreme danger in light of the inability of government and private hospitals to receive critical cases," he said.
"We are afraid that we will reach a stage where people die in the streets in the absence of places in hospitals to treat the injured, or that there is a trade-off between one person and another."
Mr Diab said the lockdown would start this weekend and continue until 29 November.
The health sector and vital industries would be exempted, he added, without providing details.
He also ruled out closing the country's only international airport, which he did during Lebanon's first lockdown earlier this year.
Latest Stories
-
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
8 minutes -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
14 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Minister hasn’t sanctioned any selective demolitions of billboards – GARCC replies AAG
15 minutes -
UniMAC-Journalism and Media Students Association (JOMSA) launched
25 minutes -
MTN and CalBank collect 7,020 pints of blood in ‘Save a life’ drive
27 minutes -
Ken Agyapong’s camp denies breakaway party claims
32 minutes -
Photos: Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
33 minutes -
UniMAC committed to producing ethically grounded, socially responsible journalists – Dean
36 minutes -
Patrick Boamah casts doubts over gov’t’s plan to extradite a Russian suspect in sexual exploitation saga
41 minutes -
Advocacy group pledges to pursue cases of wrongful convictions
41 minutes -
Li Yang: China’s zero-tariff policy helps made-in-Ghana products expand into the Chinese market
45 minutes -
Russian Embassy in Ghana acknowledges reports on sexual exploitation case
53 minutes -
GNAT condemns violent attack on West Africa SHS teachers
57 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests armed thugs posing as Anti-Galamsey task force in Western Region
57 minutes -
Efya ties the knot with Nigerian singer Tomi Thomas
1 hour
