Scientists say they have identified a mutation in coronavirus which they believe means a more contagious strain has been sweeping Europe and the US – and could even reinfect those who already have antibodies.
Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory in the US detected 14 mutations in the Covid-19 virus spike proteins, one of which – known as Spike D614G – they said was of “urgent concern”.
Their research paper suggests the mutated strain of coronavirus that has become dominant across the world was first indentified in Europe and is different to those which spread early on in the pandemic.
So urgent is the issue that the research paper describing their findings has been made available before being peer-reviewed, although this has caused concern among some observers.
By analysing more than 6,000 genetic sequences of coronavirus samples taken from patients globally, the researchers found the mutated strain was persistently becoming the most dominant version of the virus in every region it was detected in.
While first discovered in Europe in early February, the researchers believe the coronavirus mutation has now become the most prevalent strain across the whole of the world.
The study indicates it has been consistently out-competing the original strain detected in Wuhan, which spread through that region of China and some other Asian countries before March.
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- One dead in Tetegu floods
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Members of pro-Alan group accuse Bawumia of campaigning contrary to National Council directive
- In pictures: Illegal mining activities in the Bosome Freho District
- BoG’s timing of policy rate adjustment was wrong – Economist
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: An open letter to Dr. Bawumia on the occasion of his 59th birthday
- Bawumia dances to ‘Buga’ song to mark 59th birthday
- Ellembelle District receives school infrastructure project from Eni Ghana and Partners
- Coachella files copyright infringement lawsuit against Afrochella
- We failed to deal with local triggers of inflation before Russia-Ukraine war – Prof. Bokpin
- Ghana Music Awards UK comes off on October 29
- Samira Bawumia celebrates husband on 59th birthday
- Laboratory scientists call for establishment of public health emergency preparedness fund
- It cost ₵200k to produce ‘Run For Your Wife’ play – George Quaye
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth
- Opanin Kwadwo Taah (Alias Papa J. K.)