Audio By Carbonatix
Authorities have seized cryptocurrency exchange Bitzlato, and arrested its co-founder, accusing the firm of fuelling a "high-tech axis of crypto crime".
The US Department of Justice charged Anatoly Legkodymov, a Russian national living in China, with running a business that catered to what he once described as "crooks".
They said Bitzlato processed more than $700m (£567m) in illicit funds, breaking rules designed to thwart money laundering.
Mr Legkodymov was arrested in Miami.
"Institutions that trade in cryptocurrency are not above the law and their owners are not beyond our reach," US Attorney Breon Peace said at a press conference on Wednesday, announcing the arrest.
"As alleged, Bitzlato sold itself to criminals as a no-questions-asked cryptocurrency exchange and reaped hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of deposits as a result. The defendant is now paying the price for the malign role that his company played in the cryptocurrency ecosystem."
Since 2018, the Hong Kong-registered exchange had processed about $4.5bn worth of cryptocurrency transactions, according to the complaint.
The firm required minimal identification from its users, allowing it to become a "haven for criminal proceeds and funds intended for use in criminal activity", prosecutors said.
They alleged that the firm was aware of the issues, citing an internal document that described Bitzlato as handling "dirty money" without standard customer-vetting procedures.
Authorities said the firm was closely connected to Hydra Market, a darknet marketplace for drugs, money laundering and stolen financial information that international authorities shut down last year.
Bitzlato claimed it did not accept US customers but prosecutors said it in fact did "substantial" business with Americans.
US authorities worked with law enforcement in France and other countries on the operation.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
10 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
12 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
20 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
24 minutes -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
29 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
47 minutes -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
51 minutes -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
55 minutes -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
57 minutes -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
57 minutes -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 hour -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
2 hours
