Audio By Carbonatix
The Defence Press Corps of Ghana has condemned the alleged assault of civilians by a soldier identified as Warrant Officer Class One (WO1) William Mensah, describing the incident as unacceptable and contrary to the values of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).
In a statement issued on Thursday, October 30, 2025, and signed by Joseph Armstrong Gold-Alorgbey, Dean of the Corps, the group commended the Ghana Armed Forces for the swift arrest of the suspect to assist with investigations.
“We have full confidence in the leadership of the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) and the Service Chiefs, and we believe that due process will be followed to ensure that the alleged offender, if found guilty, faces the full consequences of the law without fear or favour,” the statement said.
The alleged assault, which occurred on Wednesday, October 29, 2025, at a pharmacy within Burma Camp, was captured on video and widely circulated on social media. The footage sparked public outrage after it showed the uniformed soldier assaulting a drug store attendant and a female customer during a confrontation.
The Defence Press Corps, which comprises journalists who report on military and security affairs, urged the public to treat the incident as an isolated case, stressing that it does not reflect the character or professionalism of the Ghana Armed Forces as an institution.
“The GAF remains a respected national institution that has consistently demonstrated professionalism, discipline, and dedication to safeguarding the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our country,” the Corps noted.
The group also appealed to the public to maintain confidence in the Armed Forces as they continue to uphold peace, security, and constitutional order.
The Ghana Armed Forces had earlier confirmed the arrest of the suspect by the Ghana Military Police at dawn on Thursday and assured the public that it would not condone or shield any officer involved in acts of violence against civilians.
The Defence Press Corps reiterated its support for the military’s efforts to uphold discipline and transparency, adding that such swift accountability measures strengthen public trust in the Armed Forces.
The statement concluded by reaffirming the Corps’ commitment to objective and responsible reporting on defence and security matters in Ghana.
Latest Stories
-
Woman found dead at Dzodze
2 hours -
Bridging Blight and Opportunity: Mark Tettey Ayumu’s role in Baltimore’s vacant property revival and workforce innovation
2 hours -
Court blocks Blue Gold move as investors fight alleged plot to strip shareholder rights
2 hours -
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
2 hours -
Ghana selects Bryant University as World Cup base camp
3 hours -
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
4 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
5 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
5 hours -
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
6 hours -
Ga Mantse discharged from UGMC following Oti Region accident
6 hours -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
6 hours -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
7 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
8 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
9 hours -
Watch the moment President Mahama visited the Ga Mantse at UGMC after horrific accident
9 hours
