Audio By Carbonatix
A democracy advocacy group, Community Focus Foundation Ghana (CFF-Ghana), has condemned the acts of violence witnessed during the rerun at 19 polling stations at Ablekuma North Constituency on Friday, 11th July 2025.
The rerun recorded one of the blizzard moments in Ghana’s democratic space, where journalists and politicians were attacked unprovoked by unidentified individuals and security officers.
“We strongly protest the violent attacks in which some citizens, including Hon. Mavis Hawa Koomson, former Member of Parliament for Ewutu Senya East and Deputy National Organiser of the NPP, and Chris Lloyd Nii Kwei Asamoah, were brutally beaten at Ablekuma North," said Director of Community Focus Foundation Ghana, Richard Kasu.

He further indicated that "the unprovoked assault on Kwabena Agyekum Banahene, a journalist with GHOne TV (a subsidiary of the EIB Network), by a supposed police officer is equally condemned.”
JOYNEWS digital journalist Sally Martey was also not spared, as she was assaulted during violent scenes at the Ablekuma North constituency parliamentary rerun.
He expressed worry at the “unresponsive” conduct of the police, who were detailed without riot control tools, during the disturbing occurrences.
Mr. Kasu entreated the police to take immediate steps to arrest persons identified to have participated in the unacceptable acts and ensure they face the law duly.
He recounted similar electoral violence, mostly as a result of political disagreements, questioning the country’s commitment to democratic principles and its bid to protect the country’s peace and coexistence.
Mr. Kasu, therefore, advocated for the strict enforcement of the Anti-Vigilantism law to prevent future electoral violent clashes and ensure that persons who flout the law are arrested and prosecuted.
“We further call on the government to support the review of the 2024 general elections by the relevant institutions, including Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), with the view of identifying electoral gaps, including violent concerns and putting in place robust mitigation measures to prevent the same so far as future elections are concerned,” he concluded.
Latest Stories
-
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
45 minutes -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
1 hour -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
2 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
3 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
4 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
4 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
4 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
4 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
5 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
5 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
5 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
5 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
6 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
6 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
7 hours
