Audio By Carbonatix
Donald Trump has said he will ask the judge in his election fraud case to step aside on what he called "very powerful grounds".
He claimed that "there is no way I can get a fair trial" unless she does.
His call came after the prosecution requested a court order that would limit what he can publicly say about the case.
The judge, Tanya Chutkan, was appointed by former President Barack Obama.
Trump took to his social media platform, Truth Social, on Sunday morning, describing the case as "the ridiculous freedom of speech, slash fair elections case" and saying that his legal team would immediately be asking for recusal of the judge.
He give no details of his grounds for asking her to step down.
Judge Chutkan previously ruled against Mr Trump's efforts to shield evidence from the House January 6 Committee and has faced frequent attacks from Trump allies in recent days. Mr Trump had described her and the Department of Justice (DOJ) as "highly partisan and very corrupt".
Judge Chutkan, who was appointed in 2014, is the only federal judge in Washington who has delivered sentences against defendants in cases related to the 6 January Capitol riot that are longer than the sentences that the DOJ asked for, according to NBC News.
Any judge of the United States shall disqualify themselves in any proceeding in which their impartiality might reasonably be questioned, according to the US Department of Justice.
Recusal of the judge was not the only thing Mr Trump said he would request. He also wants his case to be moved out of Washington.
He says that it is "impossible for him to get a fair trial in Washington", which he describes as "anti-Trump".
Mr Trump's lawyer, John Lauro, said on Sunday that the former president "believed in his heart of hearts" that he won the 2020 election,.
Speaking to US TV networks, he said Mr Trump was being attacked for exercising his constitutional First Amendment right to free speech.
Earlier this week, Mr Trump wrote in capital letters, "If you go after me, I am coming after you!" on Truth Social, just a day after he pleaded not guilty to four charges in the alleged election fraud case.
And the same night, the prosecutors said they feared Mr Trump might disclose confidential evidence and asked for a protective order to prevent "the improper dissemination or use of discovery materials, including to the public".
Judge Tanya Chutkan gave Mr Trump's legal team until 17:00 local time on Monday to respond to the submission. Mr Trump's lawyers asked for three more days, but the judge denied their request.
Judge Chutkan, a noted hardliner on cases against those accused of participation in the Capitol riots, is expected to call in attorneys from both sides on 28 August to discuss setting a trial date.
The charges - which include conspiracy to defraud the US, tampering with a witness and conspiracy against the rights of citizens - stem from the former president's actions in the wake of the 2020 election, including around the 6 January Capitol riot.
Over the past two years, the 61-year-old judge has won a reputation for harsh sentences for those convicted of participation in the riots. Of the 31 defendants who have come before her, Judge Chutkan has sentenced every one of them to at least some jail time, according to a Washington Post tally.
Mr Trump now faces five upcoming trials - three criminal trials which include the classified documents case, the hush money case, and these election charges; and two civil trials over business practices and alleged defamation of a woman who accused him of rape.
Latest Stories
-
Franklin Cudjoe praises Chief Justice over dismissal of EC, OSP removal petitions
3 minutes -
Whistleblower helped rescue baby stolen from Mamprobi Polyclinic – Gender Minister
5 minutes -
Mahama unveils 6 pillars to transform Ghana’s mining sector at Local Content Summit
6 minutes -
Mahama advocates for smart local content policies at Takoradi Summit
10 minutes -
The Nairobi Tone: Why Africa and the Caribbean are redefining global tourism resilience
12 minutes -
Gender Minister assures tighter health facility security after Mamprobi baby theft
18 minutes -
Russian envoy pledges cooperation as Ghana registers protest over ‘atrocious conduct’ of alleged national
20 minutes -
Police arrest two suspects over motorbike robbery at Sibakon Down
23 minutes -
Tension at Manso Akwasiso as residents accuse soldiers of killing a miner
24 minutes -
Let institutions work – Sam Okudjeto cautions politicians
28 minutes -
Ghana must become a hub for AI-assisted mining operations – Mahama
31 minutes -
Woman’s body found at lakeside, police launch investigation
32 minutes -
Andre Ayew ‘not thinking about’ retirement
39 minutes -
Gifty Oware-Mensah: Ex-NSA Deputy files motion to stay proceedings in ghost names case
44 minutes -
“One of the weakest benches at the tournament” – Coach Nimley calls for immediate dismissal of Otto Addo
45 minutes
