Audio By Carbonatix
The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) is set to release a 'dumsor' timetable as it announces planned outages from May 10 to 17.
According to the CEO of the Company, Agyemang Budu, this has become necessary due to the ongoing works on the Pokuase Bulk Supply Point.
GRIDCO had earlier warned of imminent power cuts upon request by contractors working on the Kasoa and Pokuase substations.
During a tour of the Pokuase BSP which has been under construction since 2019, Kwame Agyemang Budu said ECG was finalising details of the timetable to be announced.
"The actual outages will occur from May 10 to 17. These outages are due to connecting the GRIDCO line to the national grid," he said.
According to Mr Agyemang Budu, the scheduled outages will be rotated to minimise the impact on the affected areas.
"We are coming out with a planned schedule whereby the affected areas are grouped into four. We have done it in such a way that no single customer will see the outage throughout the eight days," he revealed.
He added, "we will see probably a 12-hour outage in the day time and then in three days we'll have another outage at night."
The outages, mainly to be in Accra, will affect Pokuase, Nsawam, Gbawe, Mallam, Achimota, Awoshie, and other areas.
Energy Minister Dr Matthew Opoku Prempeh who led the government delegation to inspect the Pokuase project called on Ghanaians to bear with the situation, stressing that it has become necessary due to government's effort to make power supply more reliable.
'So we plead with you to bear with us. This has become necessary because of government's investment in the power sector. The idea is to make power supply even better after the works are done', he stressed.
GRIDCO boss Jonathan Amoako Baah who was also on the tour explained that all outages are occasioned by necessary demands.
On Tuesday, Energy Minister Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh inspected work done on the Pokuase Bulk Supply Point (BSP) project.
Construction of the 33.5 million dollar facility began in April 2019 under the Ghana Power Compact 2, funded by the US Government through the Millennium Challenge Corporation.
Upon completion, the Pokuase BSP is expected to address power supply challenges, such as frequent outages and low voltages, resulting from increased power demand in Accra and the surrounding towns.
Latest Stories
-
From Ghana to Canada’s Frontline of Justice: Dr Akwasi Owusu-Bempah appointed to lead the fight against anti-black racism
3 minutes -
Landlord allegedly kills tenant over GH¢30 electrcity bill dispute at Medie
7 minutes -
NDPC Director-General calls for coordinated action on human capital development
18 minutes -
Black Stars train in Puebla for Mexico friendly ahead of 2026 World Cup
20 minutes -
Boxing: Ivan Bruce-Cudjoe, Rabbon Dodoo to contest for presidency
21 minutes -
Roads Ministry commends GCB Bank, Timeline & Innovation LTD for powering Mahama’s “Big Push” agenda
28 minutes -
African-led genomics partnership launches with $3.5m investment to drive precision medicine
30 minutes -
Sports Fund must contribute to Ghana’s GDP – Dr Wuaku
36 minutes -
Our players deserve to be at 2026 World Cup – Medeama coach
49 minutes -
I’m now surviving on one kidney and a metal-adjusted liver – Ghanaian Russian recruit cries out
52 minutes -
PIAC accuses government of breaching oil fund law with $100m cap instead of required $584m
1 hour -
Ghana’s triple reboot: Making independence real
1 hour -
Yaa Naa applauds Stanbic Bank for contributions to the development of Dagbon
1 hour -
NDPC continues stakeholder validation of 2025 national annual progress report
1 hour -
Powering Ghana’s SMEs through green financing partnerships
1 hour