Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has provided an update on victims of last Wednesday’s stampede at the El-Wak Sports Stadium, revealing progress in the condition of those critically injured. The tragic incident, which occurred during a military recruitment exercise, has claimed six lives so far.
Captain Veronica Adzo Arhin, acting Director-General of the Department of Public Relations of the GAF, disclosed that three of the five patients initially admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) have improved and been transferred to another ward.
Captain Arhin said a total of 29 victims were brought to the hospital on the day of the incident. Medical teams have been working around the clock to stabilise patients and prevent further fatalities.
“The injured are doing well, they are at the hospital, and they are receiving the best of care. On the day of the incident, we had five people in the ICU. As we speak, three of them are doing well, and they have been moved to another ward,” she stated.
She further noted that while some victims have been treated and discharged, 16 individuals remain hospitalised, receiving continuous care and monitoring.
“On the day of the incident, 29 people were brought to the hospital. As we speak now, we have about 16 currently there. Others are all receiving care, some have been discharged, and they have gone home, and they are getting the best of care. We are praying that we do not lose another life, so we are giving them all the best that we can,” Captain Arhin, in an interview with Accra-based Citi FM.
To ease the financial burden on families, she confirmed that the 37 Military Hospital is covering the full medical cost of all victims, with support from the government.
“37 Hospital is taking the full bill of anybody that comes there with any form of accident related to the stampede, and for that matter, the government,” she assured.
The stampede occurred after thousands of young Ghanaians surged into the stadium in an attempt to participate in the military recruitment process on Wednesday, November 12. The massive crowd and intense struggle at entry points led to chaos, resulting in multiple injuries and fatalities.
Latest Stories
-
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
6 minutes -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
13 minutes -
French soldier dies after being shot in the head during ‘game’ with other soldiers
14 minutes -
Urgent research needed to tackle AI threats, says Google AI boss
19 minutes -
Digital harassment against women MPs undermines democracy – GenCED
21 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
24 minutes -
Rare prison sentences handed to Cameroon soldiers after killing of 21 civilians
28 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
33 minutes -
Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft: Mother of two remanded as prosecution alleges syndicate plot
39 minutes -
‘World Cup ticket isn’t a free pass’ – US Embassy warns Ghanaian fans against visa overstay
54 minutes -
Christian Council of Ghana calls for inclusive justice on World Day of Social Justice
55 minutes -
New Juaben South MCE visits family of victim of Burkina Faso attack
1 hour -
Cocoa farmers picket COCOBOD, accuse gov’t of betrayal over prices
1 hour -
Ban on non-ferrous scrap export to boost processed metal earnings by up to $300m annually – Mahama
1 hour -
US economy slows in final months after turbulent year
1 hour
