Audio By Carbonatix
Member of Parliament for Sekondi, Andrew Egyapa Mercer says the ongoing election petition filed by the former president John Dramani Mahama is "a total waste of time".
Speaking on the AM Show, Thursday, he described the petition as "misconceived" and without any "basis in law".
“From my own perspective, this entire petition is a complete waste of everybody’s time; it won’t go anywhere, the evidence, pleadings and the evidence that have been alluded [to] so far before the court - that every observer is taking notice of - clearly points to a petition that has been misconceived, that has no basis whatsoever in law and in fact per my expectation, it is not going to stand,” he said.
Mr Mahama filed an election petition at the apex court seeking to have the results annulled after he lost the 2020 presidential elections to the President Akufo-Addo.
He alleges that Akufo-Addo benefited from vote padding and computational errors supervised and carried out by the Electoral Commission.
The petitioner has since called two witnesses; the General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia, and Dr Michael Kpessa-Whyte, a Senior Lecturer at the University of Ghana and member of the NDC to back his claims.
However, Mr Eygapa argued that the petition before the court has no substantive facts to support its claim.
According to him, the only reason the panel of judges have not dismissed the petition is because the issue is a constitutional matter and the judges are mandated by law to hear the case.
He added, “Let nobody be deceived that by reason of the fact that the court has not dealt with the preliminary objection suggests that they are in agreement that the petition has some bases. It just wants to listen to both sides."
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court on Wednesday adjourned the case to Friday, February 5 to continue the hearing of the election petition submitted by NDC flagbearer, John Mahama.
Latest Stories
-
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
16 minutes -
No public land to be allocated without minister’s prior approval – Armah-Buah announces sweeping reforms to protect state lands
41 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates spatial planning committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
52 minutes -
St Thomas Aquinas SHS hit by infrastructure deficit; appeals for key facilities
53 minutes -
Minority alleges gov’t plot to divert attention from cocoa price cut debate
1 hour -
Democracy Hub files court injunction to stop Ayawaso East by-election over vote-buying in NDC primary
1 hour -
Afrimaas urges media to defend industry at World Radio Day summit
1 hour -
Bawumia condemns killing of Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso terror attack
1 hour -
South African trio charged with Bolt driver’s murder filmed on dashcam
1 hour -
HeFRA launches investigation into alleged refusal of emergency care leading to death of road traffic accident victim
1 hour -
Maison Yusif Fragrance showcases Africa’s organic fragrance power at BIOFACH Germany
2 hours -
GoldBod suspends gold buying licence applications amid regulatory reforms
2 hours -
GoldBod suspends selected gold buying licence applications ahead of regulatory reforms
2 hours -
Student death puts French far-left under pressure
2 hours -
One song, one voice: How ‘Aha Y3’ stole the night at Awake Experience 2026
2 hours
