Shows like Transparent mean there are more LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) characters on US TV than ever before, a report has found.
The advocacy group Glaad analysed shows seen or to be shown between June 2016 and May 2017 and counted 278 regular and recurring LGBT characters.
The number of transgender characters has risen from seven to 16 this year.
But Glaad bemoaned the fact that more than 25 lesbian and bisexual female characters died or were killed off.
They include the characters Poussey Washington and Bea Smith, who met violent ends in Orange is the New Black and Wentworth respectively.
Poussey Washington, played by Samira Wiley (right), died at the end of the fourth season of Orange is the New Black
The report also found a record high percentage of black characters on broadcast television, thanks mostly to shows like Empire, Luke Cage and How to Get Away with Murder.
Glaad's Where We Are on TV study based its findings on scripted broadcast, cable and streaming series already being shown or for which casting had been confirmed.
Glaad's president Sarah Kate Ellis said it was "heartening to see progress being made" but said numbers were "only part of the story".
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: NDC Congress: Oye Lithur dances to Shatta’s “I know my level”
- Video: Check out Rawlings' dance moves at Konadu's birthday bash
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs