RLJ Entertainment has acquired and is set to release Leila Djansi’s compelling new feature film, “Like Cotton Twines.”
The film, which screened in the World Narrative Category at this year’s festival, follows Micah (Jay Ellis, “The Game,” HBO’s “Insecure”), an American volunteer who teaches in a Ghanaian village and harbors high expectations for his mother’s homeland.
He’s eager to help his students reach their full potential, especially the bright 13-year-old Tuigi played by Ophelia Klenam Dzidzornu.
But when Tuigi’s family must pay for an accident caused by her father, Tuigi must abandon her education and offer herself as a sex slave.
Outraged and upset, Micah battles the tribal culture, religious customs, and the state itself in order to save Tuigi from a cruel fate.
“This film is almost akin to a marriage between Africans and African Americans. Our stories are deeply personal experiences that no one can tell to the world better than us. UMC is a foundation on which such stories can rest. I am continuously grateful that I am able to add to its tapestry,” said Djansi.
“Like Cotton Twines” is slated to premiere on RLJE’s subscription video on demand service, Urban Movie Channel (UMC) in December 2016. The film will also be released on DVD in early 2017.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video/Photos: Wendy Shay hosts Farmers' Day edition of AM Show
- Stop disrespecting me - Stonebwoy warns Shatta Wale
- My song more popular than I but I'll catch up - ‘Do The Dance’ singer
- Video: If ‘chaff’ songs work for Shatta Wale, he should continue - Jupitar
- Rev Azigiza Jnr’s Citizen Fellowship marks first anniversary
- Video: I’m not happy with NPP; I can choose NDC in 2020 – A-Plus
- R Kelly documentary premiere evacuated after threats
- Nana Tuffour, Kuami Eugene others to headline MTN Music Festival
- Social media users attack Shatta Wale for calling out Akufo-Addo
- Photos: Kufuor unveils Christmas tree at Kempinski Hotel
- Shatta Wale showing buttocks on stage is “disgusting” – Stonebwoy
- Bliss on the Hills: Christmas comes to Kwahu Abetifi Republic
- Israeli Embassy hosts Ghanaian dignitaries at Festival of Lights in Accra
- Akosua Adjepong, alleged accomplice refund ¢55,000 in land deal
- I don’t give out beats for free – Producer Appietus tells musicians