Ms Mimi Andani, Director of the Golden Movie Awards Africa (GMAA), has blamed ‘actors-turned-producers’ for the falling standards in the Ghanaian movie industry.
For some time now, some actors and actresses have lamented the decline of the Ghanaian movie industry. They faulted the unwillingness of investors to invest in movie production as the main cause.
But speaking with JoyNews’ Doreen Avio at the launch of the 2017 edition of the Golden Movie Awards Africa (GMAA), Mimi explained that young actors/actresses have taken to production because production houses have stopped producing.
“The reason why people say its [industry is] suffering is because of the independent productions. Production houses have stopped producing because, actresses have the money and they can just pick a camera and shoot so it’s like if I don’t produce, then I don’t act because the production house who are supposed to be employing the actors, are not producing because, actors and actresses are competing with them,” the Former Big Brother Africa representative said.
“Now this is the defence of the actresses, they are also saying that, they get to a point in their lives and they want to be a production house. For example, YN Productions, even though the figure is Yvonne Nelson, it says YN Productions meaning, it’s a production house so what do you do with a situation like that?” she added.
Popularly known as ‘Mimi Divalish’, the singer said that, “Now this is my solution or what I think should be done; inasmuch as you are an actress with a production house, I’ll urge you to look for professionals. You’re an actress and not a professional in production. Get professionals and don’t be mediocre.”
The “Leave Me Alone” hitmaker explained that, most actors and actresses fail at producing because of lack of experience.
“If an actress has a production house and doesn’t get a professional to lead, you first didn’t introduce yourself to us as that, we know you as an actress so it gives people a different impression. You might be qualified but because you didn’t present yourself like that with all your skills, the general public only sees you as an actress and so when there’s a switch, people might feel they do not know what they are about,” she concluded.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Stan Lee: Marvel Comics co-creator dies aged 95
- Impressive dress rehearsal for terrific national Mardi Gras in 2019
- Video: Captain Planet reveals how his dead dog connected him to his wife
- Video: ‘Who is Kwesi Arthur?’ check out his response
- Politics scares me now - Maame Dokono
- Donzy, Ephraim ready to go to jail for refusing to pay toll on motorway
- Video: Captain Planet hints of 4x4 comeback
- Video: The best way to deal with trolls is to block them – Captain Planet
- Video: Angelique Kidjo’s powerful performance at WWI armistice centennial
- Videos/Photos: Mammoth crowd, epic performance at Hitz FM SOLO with Kwesi Arthur
- We’re not exploiting our children – Okyeame Kwame’s wife
- Medikal finally confirms breakup with Sister Debbie
- Videos/Photos: Joy FM Corporate Jam; the party of the season!
- Olamide showed me more love than any Ghanaian artiste – E.L
- Video: Nana Tuffour reveals what Kidi, Kuami Eugene, King Promise are getting wrong