Sound Engineer Prince Nana Poku, popularly known as Ashes, has revealed that while Ghanaian radio stations and night clubs play Nigerian songs, they don’t do same there.
According to him, Nigerians are always interested in patronising their music unlike Ghanaians who rather prefer foreign products.
Speaking on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM with KMJ, Ashes who also doubles as an artiste manager, said Nigerians have a culture of purchasing their own.
Known to have worked with artistes like 2Face, Timaya, Akatakyie, Kwabena Kwabena and Nacee, he said, “The Nigerians have a culture of patronising their own, no matter what it is, theirs is always first. It’s a Nigerian centred mind, so they would promote theirs first before others would be looked at.”
According to him, “In the year 2005 and 2006, our production was good so we were trying to penetrate. I quite remember I did a lot of compilation back in my studio at Kwame Nkrumah Circle with some musicians and we put our heads together thinking of how we will penetrate the Nigerian market," added the artiste manager, who is also a panelist on the Showbiz Review segment of Daybreak Hitz.
Ashes also noted that previously, Nigerians admired the Ghanaian music videos and wanted to copy but left after they gained the needed knowledge.
“If you go to a Nigerian club, you can sit there and drink, drink, drink and maybe one or two Ghanaian music is what you will hear,” he lamented.
He added that “The Ghanaian music influence was heavy back then because they did not know and understand what we were doing in-terms of our music video. When you travel to Nigeria and you are talking to them, they were super excited and they wanted to know, learn and copy, but when they got what they wanted from us, they left us.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards
- Video/Photos: Labadi Beach Hotel picks 3 prestigious awards at 2018 GEM Awards
- I love your hard African face – Medikal tells Fella Makafui
- 2019 Nigerian Election: Musician Banky W joins politics
- Depression is real; seek help – Obour advices fellow musicians
- NGMA: Gifty Osei, Patience Nyarko, Joe Mettle others nominated
- Video: I haven’t quit acting, God’s work taking my time - Majid Michel
- Profanity: We don’t need censorship; it stifles creativity – Rex Omar