After an explosive report last month alleged that R. Kelly is controlling the women around him in a manner reminiscent to a “cult,” the R&B singer has had to cancel multiple tour dates, reportedly due to low ticket sales.
As made clear on the Ticketmaster website, Kelly has canceled at least two shows in Louisiana and one in Texas. TMZ reports that a fourth show in Los Angeles has been canceled as well and attributes the cancellations to low ticket sales.
Last month, BuzzFeed published an extensive investigation into allegations that Kelly is running something of a “cult” and cutting the women around him off from their families. Kelly’s camp “unequivocally” denied the allegations soon after, saying they “alarmed and disturbed” him.
”[He] will work diligently and forcibly to pursue his accusers and clear his name,” his team said at the time.
At his first show after the report, at the Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach, attendance was sparse, according to TMZ. Reviews of the show on Ticketmaster were also highly negative. Many said Kelly was over an hour late and played for less than an hour once he appeared.
“As we were leaving EVERYONE that we passed was talking about how disappointed they were,” said one reviewer.
As of now, Kelly has not made mention of the cancellations on Twitter or on his website. In a video message published to Twitter July 27, he called the allegations against him “crap” and said he would nevertheless continue on with his tour around the East Coast.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Kalybos reveals he used to aid internet fraudsters
- How much will hosting AFRIMA cost? Govt refuses to disclose
- emPAWA100: Mr. Eazi to empower 100 young artistes every year
- Photos: SAT Hosting Day 2: Take a trip back to history of mankind
- Royal Commonwealth Society unveils ambassadors for 2019 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay competition
- Epilepsy charity 'says SA fainting dance craze should end'
- Photos: Ghana, Nigeria delegation arrive in South Africa for tourism hosting
- Kim Porter's son pens emotional post about his late mother
- Video: NDC Congress: Oye Lithur dances to Shatta’s “I know my level”
- Video: Check out Rawlings' dance moves at Konadu's birthday bash
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay