Residents, patrons and traders at Dome in the Ga East Municipality of the Greater Accra Region, will benefit from the “How Well Are You” health screening campaign by the popular musician and Physio Therapist, Philipa Baafi.
The Philipa Baafi Foundation is set to hit the Dome Market with the free health screening exercise. The maiden edition of the health screening exercise took place at the West Hills Mall on the Accra-Kasoa road of the Ga South Constituency also in Accra.
Since the core objective of the foundation is to move the screening to the doors of every Ghanaian, there is the need to move to markets, where the bulk of the people congregate, hence the Dome Market.
The “How Well Are You” health screening seeks to address the health needs of women, who form 70% of the workforce in the informal sector.
"These sisters and mothers of ours eat every food and consume every medicine which is made available or offered to them. They do not exercise and hardly will they even visit the health facility for a checkup unless they fall sick and the situation is already chronic.
"Some sit under the scorching sun, in the rain and unhygienic environments for hours without walking. Some market women even sleep in markets with the aim of grabbing the first wears/goods/commodities early at dawn and they have made the markets their place of abode," the gospel musician observed.
It is in line with these and many other reasons that the sensational Musician and ‘Occupational Therapist’, Philipa Baafi in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, recently launched the “How Well Are You” free health screening and health talk programme to cater for the health needs these market women and others across the country.
Aside the screening on Blood Pressure, Glucose/ Sugar level, Malaria and Body Mass Index (BMI) which are noted to be the common ailments among a number of market women, there will also be health talk for participants to know the need to embark on regular checkups and basic health tips that will enable them to stay away from sicknesses.
Philipa Baafi will also take centre stage and perform some of her popular tunes.
The Minister of State in charge of Procurement at the Presidency, Sarah Adwoa Safo who is also the Member of Parliament for Dome-Kwabenya and Deputy Majority Leader in Parliament, launched the maiden edition and she is expected to grace the second edition.
Supported by MTN, GOIL Ghana Limited, Tobinco Pharmaceuticals, Anadwo Ye De Mosquito Coil and Tinatette Herbal, the “How Well Are You” free health screening is expected to hit market after market across the country every month.
Dome is the nineteenth largest settlement in Ghana, in terms of population, with a population of 78,785 people. The Dome Market is a bulk breaking point for market produce from Ashanti and some parts of the Eastern region.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards
- Video/Photos: Labadi Beach Hotel picks 3 prestigious awards at 2018 GEM Awards
- I love your hard African face – Medikal tells Fella Makafui