The Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) is has called on President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to ensure that music education is reintroduced at the basic level of education.
This, according to the musicians’ union, is in view of the immense benefits music education offers to both the individual and the nation.
MUSIGA, in a statement to mark World Music Day, said some of the many benefits of music education include the development of the areas of the brain related to language and reasoning of students as a result of early musical training.
Other benefits, the statement added, include mastery of memorisation, emotional development; development of creative thinking and enhanced self-confidence.
Music education was cancelled from basic schools in Ghana in the wake of the 31st December Revolution as part of the restructuring of the educational curriculum.
This, according to MUSIGA, has created a situation where public schools do not teach music at the basic level and students who are interested have to pick up the subject at Senior High School or University level after the gap in their primary schools.
According to the MUSIGA President, Bice Osei Kuffour (Obour), “the reintroduction of music education at the basic level will provide the necessary training for our talented children which will help them adequately develop their God-given talents. It is for this reason that the Union is calling on His Excellency the President to ensure that as a lover of music, this is done during his tenure.”
The union also congratulated all music industry practitioners on the celebration of World Music Day on June 21.
The Union is excited at the celebration of the day which started in Paris on June 21, 1982. The day is marked in over 700 cities in 120 countries worldwide.
The MUSIGA President notes that with the renaissance of live music in Ghana and venues that provide live music increasing by the day, “the level of musicianship in the country can only continue to improve and Ghana will sooner than later be adequately represented in the global community of music.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards