The President of the Ghana Arts Teachers Association says the Tourism Minister should pay attention to the arts sector as it plays a major role in the development of a nation.
Ibrahim Mahama bemoans the neglect of the sector which has played a major role in the development of the nation but has experienced total neglect over the years.
He said this in an interaction with Hitz FM's Nana Qwame Larbi at the Association's maiden edition of the National Arts Week held at the National Arts Centre.
Mr Mahama stated that the Ghana Arts Teachers Association, which was founded in the early 1970s has since been struggling to create the needed awareness of the importance of creative arts.
He narrated the struggle he and the entire Association has been through to stage the event.
The event afforded young students from selected Senior High Schools (SHS) such as Ghana National College, Presbyterian Senior High School, Presbyterian Senior High School (Osu) and others display their talents through paintings, bead making among others.
The Public Relations Officer for the Association, Wizdom Ofori, also pleaded that the same level of importance given to the Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics program (STEM) should be accorded the arts sector.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: Check out Rawlings' dance moves at Konadu's birthday bash
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor