Once again, the country is mourning the passing of one of its legends; Highlife musician, Jewel Ackah. The veteran musician, who had been ill for some time, died last Friday evening at the age of 73.
He had battled a stroke and other ailments for about 10 years but his passing has still hit the music industry hard especially his contemporaries, some of who told Showbiz, his death is a big blow.
According to Highlife musician, Bessa Simons, Jewel Ackah was a perfectionist who made sure everything worked well in a group.
“You cannot work with him if you are not disciplined and I like the fact that he made sure we had successful shows all the time. We both played in CK Mann’s All Masters band and it was fun working with him,” he said.
Bessa Simons added that Ghana has lost a legend who can never be replaced.
For GHAMRO Chairman, Rex Omar, Jewel Ackah’s song, Asomdwe Hene remains one of his best Highlife songs. “I listen to that song very often because I take a lot of inspiration from it,” he disclosed.
According to Rex Omar, Jewel Ackah’s name cannot be taken out when it comes to Highlife legends in Ghana.
“I was not so close to him like the other musicians but I loved his music and I learnt a lot from him,” he said.
For Della Hayes, Jewel Ackah was more like a father to her and described him as a great man.
“Jewel Ackah was the one who motivated me to form my All Female band (Women of Colour) after working with him on a song called Joyce.
“He is one person who made sure everything was on point and I miss the days he used to train me. His voice is unique and I am going to miss him,” she said.
Another Highlife musician, Smart Nkansah, told Showbiz Jewel Ackah’s voice blew him away. According to him, he had a good time with him when they worked at the Sweet Talks band.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Married life with Annica has been amazing - Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Yvonne Okoro reveals recording sex tape with ex-boyfriend
- I admire Abedi Pele so much – Adina
- Video: Adekunle Gold, Simi release new song to celebrate their wedding
- Daddy Lumba, Kojo Antwi comparison impossible - Okyeame Kwame
- Photos: Ataa Mensah of 'Showcase in Ga' dies at 91
- Video/Photos: Daughters of Glorious Jesus pay courtesy call to Multimedia Group
- Video: I've forgiven my parents for throwing me away when I was born – Don Little
- I'm not bothered by the young ones using my songs - Kojo Antwi
- Video: Women who earn more than their partners abuse them – D Cryme
- Video: Creative Arts has been neglected - Sidney
- Video: I’ll be tagged greedy if I disclose how much I invested with Menzgold – Lil Win
- Celine Dion, Chance pull tracks with R. Kelly
- Rihanna takes father to court in trademark dispute
- #10YearChallenge: Multimedia staffs chime in