Nigerian artistes do have a wider reach on the world music market but they “always pick up an inspiration or two” from Ghanaian artistes, says Dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy.
The ‘Mama’ act made the claim in a recent interview with OkayAfrica.com.
“The state of Ghana music is at a growing stage still, where it's competing with the super eagles of Nigeria, so to say [laughs]. But all the same, it’s very, very interesting because regardless of Ghana’s stance on the globe when it comes to Afrobeats, Nigerians always pick up an inspiration or two from us.” retorted Stonebwoy on the competition between Ghanaian and Nigerian music.
Afrobeats artiste, Mr Eazi, who started his music career in Ghana, was at the receiving end of stinging criticism by Nigerians late last year when he suggested in an interview, Nigerian artistes were using the Ghanaian sound for hits.
In early 2017, he was at the receiving end of a vicious backlash from Nigerians where he tweeted: “Ghana’s influence on present-day “Naija Sound” cannot be overemphasised!!!”
Some Nigerians accused him of betraying the people who have made him what he is today and daring to say that Ghanaians influenced Nigerians in any field of endeavour.
Nigerian artiste, Patoranking challenged the assertion that Nigerian artistes were using the Ghanaian sound to make hits. He claimed the “cultural exchange” between the West African countries is to the benefit of artistes from both countries.
“We have been having this cultural exchange with Ghana way back since the time Tuface sang ‘My love’ which featured VIP from Ghana. Tic Tac and Tony Tetuila sang ‘Fefe ne efe.’ The musical cultural exchange between Nigeria and Ghana has been going on even before I finished secondary school,” explained Patoranking in an interview with Cool FM in Lagos, Nigeria.
“It is false for Mr. Eazi to say he started that style of music because he did not help me sing my hit song, ‘My Woman.’ I did it myself and the song is a global hit song. It is the biggest afrobeat song in the Caribbean. I do not agree with his statement. It is wrong.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: Medikal brings the heat as he sells Africa on Tim Westwood
- Gospel singer criticises Stonebwoy for endorsing secular songs in church
- Video: Cast of 1998 hit TV show 'Taxi Driver' cast back the years
- Buju Banton sings of the only law to obey in the world
- I learnt how to drive on 'Taxi Driver' - Psalm Adjeteyfio reveals
- The warrior of love - Unpacking Samini’s 'Untamed' Part 1
- Video: Ashesi University founder goes ‘crazy’, dresses like female
- Video: Kofi Mole quits school to pursue music
- Photo: Rocky Dawuni, Cabum finally smoke peace pipe
- Adopting French as Ghana’s second language ‘disrespectful’ – Okyeame Kwame
- If I don’t win any award at 3Music Awards I will pull a 'Shatta Wale' - Medikal declares
- No other Ghanaian music beats highlife - Kyekyeku
- We were once celebrated in Diaspora because of Highlife – Bessa Simons
- I won’t release any song until Mahama wins 2020 elections – Mzbel
- Video: Help stop depreciation of cedi – Samini urges gov’t