Rwandan-born dancer and choreographer Sherrie Silver picked up Childish Gambino's awards during MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) in New York City.
Gambino's viral music video This is America won three awards at the VMA's, including best video with a message, best choreography and best direction.
Silver, who choreographed the video, gained worldwide acclaim after its release.
She told the Interview Magazine that she blended a number of American and African dance moves, such as Nigeria's Shaku Shaku and the Azonto from Ghana, in the video that went on to gain tens of millions of views online.
Hear what she told the BBC about how she plans to take African dance to the world.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ebony was vilified because of her sexuality – Novelist on stereotype
- I wish Trigmatic were my biological son – Aka Blay
- Adele splits from husband Simon Konecki
- Cardi B rejects plea deal over Queens strip club brawl
- Good Friday special: Luigi Maclean, Globe Productions light up Super Morning Show
- Osibisa marks 50 years of musical excellence
- Video: Ghana DJ Awards PubFest keeps Purple Pub jamming till morning
- Yvonne Nelson urges Ghanaians to boycott elections
- Enough of the love songs - Barima Sidney
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 15): Fameye’s ‘Nothing I get’, Kofi Mole’s ‘Don’t be late’ on the rise
- Harvest Praise 2019 airs live on DStv, GOtv come Good Friday
- Photos: Ghana Jeep Club parties with children of Potter’s Orphanage Village
- Video vixen gives life to Christ, now philanthropist
- New Video: Mista Myles eyes Afrobeats crown with ‘African Girl’
- Assault, killings by uniformed men will make Nigeria collapse - Omotola tells Buhari