President of the Creative Arts Council of Ghana Mark Okraku Mantey has urged Ghanaians to place value and premium on the local fabric Kente.
Mr Mantey, who doubles as the programmes coordinator of Hitz FM, said this while sharing his experience from an exchange program the station embarked on in Durban, South Africa
Speaking on Daybreak Hitz with Andy Dosty, Mr Mantey said in South Africa, Kente is highly valued and respected.
According to him South Africans value the fabric and consider it as one of the most expensive fabrics in Africa.
“Let’s put a lot of premium and value on Kente. We took some ‘Kente’ to South Africa with the aim of selling Ghana. It was a big deal. ‘Kente’ is a big deal in South Africa. One guy said that this is one of the most expensive fabrics in Africa,” he said.
Kente, known as ‘Nwentom’ in Akan, is a type of silk and cotton fabric made of interwoven cloth strips and is native to the Akans.
It is made in areas like Bonwire, Adanwomase, Sakora Wonoo, Ntonso in the Kwabre areas of the Ashanti Region.
Hitz FM's Merqury Quaye, Mic Gizo and Okraku Mantey were recently in Durban for a live broadcast of Cruise Control from East Coast radio.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ebony was vilified because of her sexuality – Novelist on stereotype
- I wish Trigmatic were my biological son – Aka Blay
- Adele splits from husband Simon Konecki
- Cardi B rejects plea deal over Queens strip club brawl
- Good Friday special: Luigi Maclean, Globe Productions light up Super Morning Show
- Osibisa marks 50 years of musical excellence
- Video: Ghana DJ Awards PubFest keeps Purple Pub jamming till morning
- Yvonne Nelson urges Ghanaians to boycott elections
- Enough of the love songs - Barima Sidney
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 15): Fameye’s ‘Nothing I get’, Kofi Mole’s ‘Don’t be late’ on the rise
- Harvest Praise 2019 airs live on DStv, GOtv come Good Friday
- Photos: Ghana Jeep Club parties with children of Potter’s Orphanage Village
- Video vixen gives life to Christ, now philanthropist
- New Video: Mista Myles eyes Afrobeats crown with ‘African Girl’
- Assault, killings by uniformed men will make Nigeria collapse - Omotola tells Buhari