President of the Creative Arts Council of Ghana Mark Okraku Mantey has urged Ghanaians to place value and premium on the local fabric Kente.
Mr Mantey, who doubles as the programmes coordinator of Hitz FM, said this while sharing his experience from an exchange program the station embarked on in Durban, South Africa
Speaking on Daybreak Hitz with Andy Dosty, Mr Mantey said in South Africa, Kente is highly valued and respected.
According to him South Africans value the fabric and consider it as one of the most expensive fabrics in Africa.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
“Let’s put a lot of premium and value on Kente. We took some ‘Kente’ to South Africa with the aim of selling Ghana. It was a big deal. ‘Kente’ is a big deal in South Africa. One guy said that this is one of the most expensive fabrics in Africa,” he said.
Kente, known as ‘Nwentom’ in Akan, is a type of silk and cotton fabric made of interwoven cloth strips and is native to the Akans.
It is made in areas like Bonwire, Adanwomase, Sakora Wonoo, Ntonso in the Kwabre areas of the Ashanti Region.
Hitz FM's Merqury Quaye, Mic Gizo and Okraku Mantey were recently in Durban for a live broadcast of Cruise Control from East Coast radio.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- I haven’t found someone who can tolerate me – E.L on being single
- You’re not qualified to grade rappers if I’m not in Top 5 list – E.L
- Joy Prime, SALM excite thousands at ‘A Beautiful Christmas’ concert
- Peace Hyde speaks on gender parity in Media at the Africa 2018 Forum in Egypt
- Sarkodie is a brother regardless of what people say – E.L
- Video/Photos: MTN Music Festival thrills patrons on Farmers’ Day
- Creative arts industry is an orphan - Kwaw Ansah
- Abena crowned Ghana’s Most Beautiful 2018
- Watch: Shatta Wale releases video for ‘My Level’ hit song
- Popular actor narrates how he lived with a ghost for 3 months
- Photos from Kufuor’s 80th birthday celebrations
- Joy FM presents perfect family getaway on Dec 22
- Beyoncé sings at A-list Indian wedding
- Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host after 3-day controversy
- Hajia 4Real ‘shows boobs’ in King Promise, Wizkid video